PDA

View Full Version : AK

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey guys.

Second hand of the 5+1 Multi on Party. There are 1732 players.

I have exactly T1000 as does everyone else. I pick up AKd in EP and raise to 75 after a UTG limper. ( Blinds are T15)
This is my normal raise at this stage in the tourney. After the first lvl I move back to 3x-4x BB raises. Folded to a MP player who raises to 300. What is your action here and why? Knowing that I like to double early or exit early does this change your answer?

tripdad
08-22-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Knowing that I like to double early or exit early does this change your answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

pushing with this hand certainly qualifies for double early or exit early.

i would normally call the re-raise and see a flop, though. i can play with T700 if i don't hit.

cheers!

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Sorry... forgot to mention that the first limper folded. Actions back to me.

PokerNeal
08-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I would normally like to be the raiser with this hand rather than the responder to a large raise. If I put the other guy on a high pair I would fold.

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I had no read on this person yet, it being the first hand of the tourney. So... not having a read, should I "read" his raise as a high pair and fold or should I fold because I DON'T actually know what his raise is.

Edit: Not saying folding is the only option, just trying to decide what the reason would be to fold

PokerNeal
08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
You have no read on this guiy? It is too early in the tourney for you to take a chance with a hand that is a slight underdog to any pair. I would not play. I would save my chips for that hand down the road which has a high potential of increasing my stack.

Call the weak tight police!

betgo
08-22-2004, 05:46 PM
I a $5 tournament I would push. In a $100+ tournament I would fold, unless the reraiser was loose.

Sundevils21
08-22-2004, 05:48 PM
in my mind, folding is NOT an option. I wouldn't raise here either. In my mind its a clear call. You can get away from it on the flop and still have a decent amount of chips. Even if he has QQ, JJ, 1010, early on in these there are some bad players who will push on any flop. Try to catch an A or K.

vandalay
08-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I would call and see the flop... you hit, check to him and let him raise with his underpair.... if you miss you can you still have 700..

If your determined to ONLY play if you double up early, then all-in is the answer and you hope he has AQs, or a winnable race.

His odds of having AA when you have an Ace is 1 out of 408. KK is the same, but there you have 30% chance of winning anyway.

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm not determined to ONLY play if I double or exit early, but I'm looking for spots where that might be the case. Grinding it out in these large 1000+ 5+1 tournies isn't what I'm looking for. Please please please tell me if my thinking is off here.

PokerNeal
08-22-2004, 06:06 PM
This whole discussion is one more example of why NLH does not allow skillful play (Please refer to the other thread where I have a post with an article from Dainel Negreanu making a case for PLH rather than NLH as the deciding game). In a PLH I would not even bat an eyelid before betting the pot with A-K under a situation like this.....

betgo
08-22-2004, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't flat call. Either allin or fold. If you think he is likely to have AA or KK, fold.

patrick dicaprio
08-22-2004, 08:41 PM
why do you like to douel early or leave early, is it becasue you can play a better game? if so why bother entering?

that said, i wouldnt even raise coming in I would limp here. even though you are reraised you have to at elast call. i wouldnt go all in however unless i was sure he would fold because you are a dog to most of the hands he will hold here.

Pat

Sundevils21
08-23-2004, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't flat call. Either allin or fold. If you think he is likely to have AA or KK, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time this would be correct is if you didn't think you were one of the best players in the tournament, don't risk going broke when you could very well be a small dog. Unless of course you don't care then go all in. No way you're folding.

Kaz The Original
08-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Push!

MrX
08-23-2004, 01:26 AM
A 5 dollar tourney you push here. He is just as likely to have a lower Ace as he is a pocket pair, and he will call your push. If you win you then have a nice stack to work with for when a buffoon who doubles up early runs into you later when you have a monster and can then get an even larger double up.

This advice again based on the $5 value of the tourney.