PDA

View Full Version : Coldcalling with ATs...

chesspain
08-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Nice, juicy game, with people who like to coldcall. Button is very weak-tight and predictable (i.e. won't bet draws, but will bet out after hitting his draw instead of checkraising, etc.). UTG is a LAG who will bet the entire way with nothing, will bet a naked, turned flush draw into three other players, etc. I don't have a good read on her EP raising standards, though.

Preflop: chesspain is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $2. UTG+1 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 (poster) calls, chesspain calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls. <font color="blue">Given the presence of UTG+1, I didn't see the value in three-betting. Yet, given the likelihood that at least two other players will come along to the flop, my hand seemed too good to fold. Or is it, especially given my poor position relative to the LAG? </font>

Flop: (12.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (18.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, chesspain checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, chesspain calls, CO calls $4 (All-In).

Final Pot: 22.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 22.25 BB, between CO, Button, UTG and chesspain.</font>

lil'
08-22-2004, 04:43 PM
If the pre-flop raiser is loose, then it looks like you have enough of a hand to play here. If you feel like you will have a better hand than UTG most of the time, I would consider three betting and letting the posters call two cold with their crap. If you think UTG's raise could be legit, then I like calling better.

The rest of the hand is cool, except I think you can save a bet on the river here. I know you're not supposed to fold for one bet in a big pot unless you're sure, but i think you can be pretty sure against 3 opponents.

Edit - You only have to be right less than 5% of the time. I'm being nitpicky.

MarkD
08-22-2004, 04:48 PM
If you feel that you have UTG beat/dominated often then I prefer to 3-bet rather than call but I prefer calling to folding in the spot you describe.

Given that you didn't 3-bet pre-flop the flop and turn plays are fine. I know it sounds weak but I think you have a fold on the river here. When four people put in 2 bets each on this turn you can be almost certain at least one person has a club. You don't have one so I think you can fold.

I think this river play has been a very small leak in my game (calling when I should fold in multiway big pots). I dont' consider it a major leak though.

Trix
08-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Dont think you are good on the river even close to as often as you have to.

[ QUOTE ]
Button is very weak-tight and predictable (i.e. won't bet draws, but will bet out after hitting his draw instead of checkraising, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

On top of that there is a caller allready.

chesspain
08-22-2004, 06:01 PM
UTG (LAGgy preflop raiser) had A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif !?
CO (poster) had T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flopped, passively played two-pair!?
Button had K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif...I guess he thought the rivered king gave him the best hand!?

...and MHIG /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Trix
08-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Guess you hit the good 2% :P