PDA

View Full Version : flopped a set of kings, did I play it wrong

vandalay
08-22-2004, 03:16 PM
the 30 person MTT at party. I am the chipleader at the time and this hand comes up.

I think I played it perfect till the very very end which I figured I was beat, but could still have it as he could have been chasing, or had just Qhigh...... but as usual, I want other people to let me know

***** Hand History for Game 869473029 *****
Table Three Table(58594) Table #2 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: CBettyBoop ( $300 )
Seat 2: hammw ( $1575 )
Seat 3: Vandalay ( $2510 )
Seat 4: Shanghai_Boy ( $550 )
Seat 5: TARKUS428 ( $360 )
Seat 6: sparky463 ( $2050 )
Seat 8: jlb138 ( $1070 )
Seat 9: Traderman1 ( $655 )
Seat 10: mrzamondo ( $930 )
Trny:5387750 Level:2
Blinds (10/20)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Vandalay [ Kh Kc ]
CBettyBoop calls [20].
hammw raises [60].
Vandalay calls [60].
Shanghai_Boy folds.
TARKUS428 folds.
sparky463 folds.
jlb138 folds.
Traderman1 calls [50].
mrzamondo folds.
CBettyBoop calls [40].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, Ks, 8c ]
Traderman1 checks.
CBettyBoop checks.
hammw bets [300].
Vandalay calls [300].
Traderman1 folds.
CBettyBoop is all-In.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3c ]
hammw bets [300].
Vandalay calls [300].
** Dealing River ** [ 2c ]
hammw is all-In.
Vandalay calls [915].
hammw shows [ Ad, Ac ] a flush, ace high.
Vandalay shows [ Kh, Kc ] a flush, king high.
CBettyBoop shows [ Qc, Td ] a flush, queen high.
Player CBettyBoop finished in 27 place
hammw wins 2550 chips from side pot #1 with a flush, ace high with ace kicker.
hammw wins 980 chips from the main pot with a flush, ace high with ace kicker.
ouch
CBettyBoop has left the table.

adanthar
08-22-2004, 03:38 PM
I'd have reraised preflop and somehow found a way to get all of his chips in on the flop if, for some reason, he didn't put me all in before that. If that did not happen, they'd certainly be in on the turn.

tripdad
08-22-2004, 03:52 PM
nothing you did could have changed the outcome. more than likely, AA was not going to fold to any bet.

that said, you misplayed your KK on every street.

preflop:
you need to re-raise. a 3xBB preflop raise can be called by lots of hands this early in a tourney. you make it even easier for suited connectors like JTs and the likes to see a flop when you just smooth call.

flop:
you should be looking to take the pot right now. the board shows 2 to a flush and 2 to a broadway straight with multiple players who called a raise preflop. this is not the time to try to bust a stack by slow playing, lest you risk your own.

cheers!

vandalay
08-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Preflop: I disagree 100%.. I was the chip leader and did not want to take down a measly 90 chips... or have to put 1500 in chips in to a reraise with someone with an AK (which they are likely to do). If an Ace showed on the flop, I was gone.... and AQ vs KK still wins 30% of the hands...

On the flop: I disagree again. I wanted small stacks 600 into the pot also, so I called the 300 bet, I could have pushed back but let him bleed off his chips to me.

On the turn: Yes, I could have pushed there and maybe or maybe not gotten the 300 in the pot... I believe he would have called, at the time and results would ahve been the same. Also, I can see him pushing on the river in the same situation... even if the club didnt hit... My river bet was going to take his money, no doubt about it.

On the river: Yes, I could have folded. 1 card had me beat....

B1GF1SHY
08-22-2004, 04:24 PM
If you don't think you played it wrong, then don't post with 'did I play it wrong' in the subject.

vandalay
08-22-2004, 04:27 PM
PS: I agree with you if it had been later in the tourney, when the blinds were meaningful. Just early in the tourney I like to accumilate chips by bleeding people with the best hand and getting out when i am beat..

i.e. ace on the flop, take my 90 dollar loss and be happy with it. I do not like taking coin flips, or even 70/30 flips when I can avoid it.

-VI

vandalay
08-22-2004, 04:28 PM
lol... just because I dont think I did, doesnt mean I didnt... lol...

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I've been having trouble signing in as of late for some reason, but now I'm back. So here are my thoughts.

First of all it helps to know what the buy-in is as players play much differently at different lvls.

Pre-Flop: You want to raise for a couple of reasons. First of all you are raising for value because you have the second best hand in holdem. Secondly you are charging drawing hands and any other pairs out there to play with you. You said you like to avoid coin flips... Well you aren't going to be in a coin flip with any hand that calls you. Re-raise this hand and you will get action on your raise from the intiall raiser more often than you'd think.

On the flop: Raise this hand. Jesus... even though you have redraws if your opp's gets a flush on the turn you don't even want to get there unless they are calling incorrectly with poor odds. So give them the poor odds that you want them to have and move from there. Not raising here is a big mistake IMO

On the turn: I'm not sure what the optimal play is here, but I don't think calling is it. This guy obviously believes in his hand.... he bet 300 on the flop and you called. Surely he knew you had a hand. On the turn when he bets again he isn't going to let it go more than likely so why not raise with what is likely the best hand at the time while charging a club draw at the same time.

River: You have a good amount of chips left and I don't see a hand other than the A of clubs going all in on this river. What by the way he played his hand made you think that he did not have the ace of clubs. I know you have top set and the second nut flush but you are putting all of your chips at risk on this river to what looks to me like the Ace of clubs. I may be wrong here, but I don't see how he could possibly make this move with out the flush.

People correct me if I'm wrong.

tripdad
08-22-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I disagree 100%.. I was the chip leader and did not want to take down a measly 90 chips... or have to put 1500 in chips in to a reraise with someone with an AK (which they are likely to do). If an Ace showed on the flop, I was gone.... and AQ vs KK still wins 30% of the hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

i was playing in a live n/l tourney a few weeks ago. this is a regular game, so i know the opponents well. my wife, who is UTG, raised 3xBB. she got 3 callers by the time it came to me on the button. i hold a lowly 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. i KNOW my wife is not raising light from UTG...she has a BIG hand. with the odds i'm getting, i feel there is no choice but to call...i could hit a monster flop and take her down. SB calls. BB folds.

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets out 1/2 the pot. my wife re-raises the size of the pot. i push. both call. i triple up when SB shows AA and my lovely wife flips over KK. this was during the re-buy period, so they both fattened up the prize pool, of which i took 50% of for first place.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop: I disagree again. I wanted small stacks 600 into the pot also, so I called the 300 bet, I could have pushed back but let him bleed off his chips to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to risk nearly your ENTIRE stack to win the small stack's T600, more power to you. that is simply not the correct play. when you give people odds to draw, they will. you are destined for many more "bad beats" when you don't protect your hands.

cheers!