PDA

View Full Version : Any Yes or Dream Theater fans?

UncleRemus
08-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Going to see them in concert in a couple hours. What a psych -- especially after seeing Yes' setlist!

Close to the Edge!
Southside of the Sky!
Ritual!

They've got the classic lineup with Wakeman back to, joining Anderson, Bruford, Squire and Howe.

And Dream Theater... well, this will be my fifth time seeing them, and they always put on an incredible show.

Anyone else a Poker Playing Prog Fan?

Remus

GuyOnTilt
08-22-2004, 04:18 PM
I like Liquid Tension Experiment better than Dream Theatre. A lot better.

GoT

UncleRemus
08-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Actually, I've got to agree with you there. It's funny you mention it becuase my buddy and I discussed tonight how much better Dream Theater would be if they replaced Labrie's singing with a good sax player. . . I think the result would be absolutely incredible.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Dream Theater, but there is always room for improvement...

Q8offsuit
08-23-2004, 01:38 PM
I absolutely love both of these bands! I was angry that the closest show on that tour to me was Blossom Music Center (3.5 hours away) on a Tuesday night.

Two of my favorite albums of all time are Yes' "Relayer" and Dream Theater's "Scenes From a Memory."

my buddy and I discussed tonight how much better Dream Theater would be if they replaced Labrie's singing with a good sax player. . . I think the result would be absolutely incredible.

Have to respectfully disagree with you there- While I don't exactly enjoy Labrie's singing and think Dream Theater would be best as an instrumental band, I don't think a saxophone is in order.
Do you want them sounding like a prog-metal version of Supertramp? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

UncleRemus
08-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Haha, well, when you put it that way it does sound pretty awful. But I think Dream Theater could pull it off quite tastfully. Basically, I'd want the Sax player just playing James Vocal melodies, not going off and doing his own thing. I really think it would fit quite well.. And they have had good sounding music with a bit of sax in the past (for instance, the end of Another Day).

However, I guess there isn't a huge need to do this. While I'm not the biggest Labrie fan in the world, it's alright in the end, they are still one of my top bands. And I'm very glad to see someone else as into these two bands as I am!

I'm also a big fan of Relayer! I was very dissapointed that Yes didn't play Gates of Delirium, but they did play Close to the Edge, Southside of the Sky, Awaken, and Revival. Wow! They gave us 3 hours of music, it was absolutely amazing. I realize 3.5 hours on a Tuesday night is rough, but let me tell you, with this lineup, it's worth it. Those guys can still play....

I'm actually hoping to make a 4 hour drive to see them again in a couple weeks in Syracuse. It's a haul, and I'm sure I'll only get a few hours of sleep as it's a Thursday night, but it's so tempting...

Rushmore
08-23-2004, 11:42 PM
I cannot stand these bands, but must admit to being glad that they essentially planted the seed of the mighty, mighty TOOL.

So they're OK with me, dammit.