PDA

View Full Version : Marginal Hands?

rocket
08-22-2004, 02:44 PM
What are they and how do you push them?
I'm a relatively new player, especially at big tourneys.
Most of the time with a field of 700 or so, I can crack the top 100. But, making it into the money I have not done.
From what I have read, what I believe is missing in my game is pushing marginal hands and increasing my stack when the cards are not coming my way.
Thanks in advance sharing your knowledge.

easymark
08-22-2004, 10:18 PM
from the minimal amount that I have read, you alway go in with quality cards. I believed like you that the good players are so great that they can take inferior cards and make them winners by being aggressive, weave in and out, bluff and anything else to make them win the pot. I don't think so. However tourament games maybe different....

cnfuzzd
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Marginal hands usually refer to hands such as the suited connectors, and low pocket pairs. The way you push these is to find the spots that they do best in, such as limping into multiway pots, and making sure that if you hit you get paid off big. Perhaps you are looking for more specific answers. For tournament-specific questions, go to the tournament poker forum. For Ring game question involving hold em, go to the hold em forum.

peace

john nickle

AKQJ10
08-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Keep in mind that poker on TV makes it look a lot more like that, because it's biased toward the exciting confrontation.

MikeGuz
08-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Not really - on TV you are seeing the last 6 or less playing for alot of money - which makes it a whole lot different than any other sort of poker.

What seperates great players from just good ones is not calculating pot odds or how one plays AA or KK for that matter any big hand. It's how they play marginal hands.