PDA

View Full Version : Routine-seeming chip loser

parappa
08-22-2004, 12:45 PM
How do I fix this? Fold the flop? Play it as is? I'm playing the JJ for set value only, that's why I'm limping in, but I seem to get suckered in when I flop an overpair. Do I give him credit for the straight? Surely I have to fold to the queen.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

Hero (t775)
CO (t985)
Button (t785)
SB (t785)
BB (t1595)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t850)
MP1 (t635)
MP2 (t790)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG folds,UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t15, CO folds, Button calls t15, SB calls t5, BB checks.

Flop: (t55) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t75, Button calls t75, SB folds, BB calls t75.

Turn: (t280) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets t150, Button folds, BB calls t150.

River: (t580) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets t300, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t880

LinusKS
08-22-2004, 03:15 PM
I think just calling with JJ first-in MP early in PP is not such a terrible play. I like it because when you're first in with a raise here you're too likely to either win the blinds or get re-raised for more than you want to call. The call helps avoid those problems, and allows you to call the kind of raise AK, AQ, KQ, and your random PP bluffer is likely to make.

I think the 75T after the flop was right. You're almost certain to be ahead here, but you're afraid of A.) another straight-card, and B.) another spade.

The 7c is very very good for you on the turn. It's not any of your scare-cards, and you still have an over-pair. Given that nobody's bet except for you, I find it hard to believe you're not still ahead here.

I will argue your 150T on the turn was too small. I think you're afraid to be pot-committed, here, but I don't think you should be. You've got an overpair, this is PP, and I don't think it gets better than this.

I think the big stack is just chasing here, and it's time to live or die by this hand. Other than getting your set, this hand has gone about as well as it possibly could have.

I would have bet half my stack here, and be prepared to put in the rest on the river no matter what.

Also, I think just going all-in here is fine too, but I picture the big stack folding if you do that, and I'd prefer to suck one more bet out of him first.

Of course, there's always the chance he'll finally hit an out on the river, so that's the cost of trying to get the extra bet.

LinusKS
08-22-2004, 03:38 PM
In answer to your actual question, I don't know whether he had a queen or not. Given the size of his bet, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that he did - but whether it was a 60% chance or a 40% chance I don't know.

He might have been just hoping to scare you out.

Given your exact situation, I'd probably fold too, since I don't like to put my whole stack on the line for a 50/50 shot.

But I still like either going all-in, or pot-committing yourself on the turn. You can't do anything about people sucking out on you (and if he was drawing to a Q, that was a suck-out), but you can charge them for the opportunity to do so.

Gramps
08-22-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing the JJ for set value only, that's why I'm limping in

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? You have the 4th best starting hand, why are you scared of raising here? Fix this hand by raising preflop.

You don't want to play this hand against a random hand in the BB, and SB could complete just about any hand for 5 chips, so you'll have no idea where you stand on the flop, even though you'll have the best hand much of the time. Don't give BB and SB a free/cheap shot at outflopping you with some randomish hand.

I think limping would be a better play if it was from EP at a table with some loose raisers, where you could limp/come over the top of player raising some semi-junky hands.

adanthar
08-22-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't think he had a Q, unless it was Q4-Q2 or possibly AQ. What I do think is that not raising PF cost you this hand.

This goes back to the tournament thread where Lori and I were arguing about jacks. The fact is that jacks do not play well when your hand isn't defined. You got pretty lucky with a very good flop, but you were up against an opponent with any two cards and would have to slow down when any of *12* cards hit the turn or river. Even a minimum raise, as much as I hate those, would narrow his hand down to something that you could reasonably know was behind you here. Instead, he could have a dozen hands that beat you, another three or four draws, or merely top pair with a decent kicker. You don't know and can't tell.

Personally, I'd have put him on either something big or a draw in order for him to have called you on the flop at all, because unless he is an idiot he's not going to call out of position with a bare 2, 3, or 4. When he calls a decent bet on the turn, I think I am in trouble. On the river, anything that he holds that *calls* a bet probably has me beat unless it's exactly A4; when he bets out, I am thinking 'AQ/2p+, failed draw, or A4, in that order of likelihood' and have a VERY tough decision to make.

And, again, this all goes back to raising preflop and being happy with the blinds or one caller.

durron597
08-22-2004, 09:53 PM
I have to agree with adanthar here. You are in much later position with your JJ, thus it is worth a raise. UTG you can limp with it and get away cheaply, but in LMP you really need to put in a raise to get the 56 that your probably lost against to fold.

LinusKS
08-23-2004, 12:36 AM
In my experience, PP players will call a min raise or a small raise with all kinds of hands, so I'm not sure how much information you get by raising. I'm also not sure how much more info you get with a small raise. Eg, you do get some info from the fact that no one raised after him (no one has AQ, for example.)

I'm not necessarily against a smallish raise here, I'm just arguing you need a better reason than that. You might raise because you think you have the best hand, for example.

The problem - for me, anyway - is that early on you're not really looking to get into a confrontation, and you're not looking to throw away chips if someone comes over your head, or an A, K, or Q comes on the flop.

adanthar
08-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Oh, I wouldn't raise small. My L1 raises are all to T60-T75 or more; my goal isn't exactly to see a lot of flops.

And if someone goes over the top? At level 1, that's happened exactly three times in over three hundred different tournaments, but if it does, even a T200 reraise isn't going to cripple you if you call and check/fold a flop on which you don't have an overpair.

More importantly, if you don't raise, you wind up throwing away a lot *more* chips in the long run and this hand is a prime example of why.

donny5k
08-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Problems like these define for me why I like Pokerstars setup so much more.

parappa
08-23-2004, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, if you don't raise, you wind up throwing away a lot *more* chips in the long run and this hand is a prime example of why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is an eminently reasonable point, isn't it? I can either raise it up to 75 or 90 or something preflop, or I can call the 15 along with 3 or 4 others, hit my overpair, then have to put the 90 in in a similar position on the flop.

Of course, what I'm trying to do by limping is avoid losing the preflop chips the large percentage of the time an A/K/Q flops, but by doing that I leave my overpair a bit more vulnerable to flushes, straights, or even 2-pairs, and I have to play every scary board cautiously.

I'm going to review the JJ thread, but I think in this situation that I'm starting to understand that I'm going to play an overpair much more weakly here if I'm not willing to raise pre-flop, and if I am willing to raise preflop that it's simply going to be a more expensive flop fold a lot of the time.

betgo
08-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Your play is anything but routine. You need to raise preflop. From early position, limping with JJ might be halfway reasonable.

Why the fold on the river? I think you are pretty well pot-committed. It is not at all certain you are beaten. Are you worried about busting out. When you fold, you don't have many chips left.

hummusx
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg, you do get some info from the fact that no one raised after him (no one has AQ, for example.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is exactly true. IMO, behind a number of limpers, AQo is a hand I've seen limped a lot in Party $10 SNGs.

On a general note, I usually limp JJ in early position or behind other limpers (for set value only at this point) but I raise in mid or late positions if I'm first in. Shorthanded is a different story of course.

BigJohn043
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
A couple of thoughts:

I don't like the limp here. You have a very good starting hand that can be very vulnerable on the flop. If you limp, you are toast if an overcard hits and even when you have an overpair you don't know where you are. You also haven't built the pot so to make it worth anything you have to put chips in not knowing where you stand.

I would raise this to 4x the BB given the limper. If I have an overpair or a set on the flop I am betting the pot and trying to take it down there. If I only have one caller and position I try to take it down even if an overcard hits. Particularly if the overcard is a K or Q. If an A hits I would be very careful.

At the lower levels on Party, people will see the flop with all sorts of things, even for a raise. They then get nervous if the flop doesn't hit them hard....

donny5k
08-23-2004, 06:14 PM
You are afraid to raise jacks because you automatically fold when an overcard flops? Weak, tight police? Why don't you just muck everything but AK, AA, KK, QQ preflop then?

parappa
08-24-2004, 01:23 AM
For the first 2 rounds in party 10+1s, this is very close to my strategy. Weak-tight is a must for the first 2, and possibly 3 rounds imo.