PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong in this hand?

octaveshift
08-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Already in the money, button was loose/passive up until this point, and easily scared off pot.

I expect to be criticized for nearly every move I made, so feel free to let me have it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Should I have checked the river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Button (t3368)</font>
SB (t1466)
<font color="C00000">octaveshift (t3166)</font>

Preflop: octaveshift is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Button calls t300, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">octaveshift raises to t600</font>, Button calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">octaveshift bets t800</font>, Button calls t800.

Turn: (t2950) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">octaveshift bets t525</font>, Button calls t525.

River: (t4000) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">octaveshift bets t1241 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1241.

Final Pot: t6482

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows Qd 9d (flush, king high).
octaveshift shows Kc 6d (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Button wins t6482. </font>

Lori
08-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Preflop:

Your raise is awful, a true 0/10 play, here's why.

The reason for raising preflop is to either:

a) get more money into the pot with the best hand.
b) bluff somebody out of the pot who has a worse hand than you.

Your raise is certainly not going to get the guy out (It's too small) and if you're unlikely to be in front.

Even worse than the two above reasons, you are out of position, so if the flop comes AQJ you are probably going to have to make a play into this pot with no idea what your opponent has, and likely give it up if you get called.

Also, you don't really need the chips at this point, a free flop for this kind of hand is ideal, and you've been offered one, why turn it down?

Finally, at the lower limits, some players think it clever to slowplay aces on the button here (which it isn't) so you have given him a reraise option and you might not even see a flop at all.

Flop:

Given the resounding telling off you just got on the preflop, you'll be pleased to know I think this is now reasonable play. I think you could have got away with betting 600 not 800, but at least following up your raise showed you had a plan for the pot.

Turn:

I like this play, but it depends on your reasons for doing it.
I'm not happy at all with my hand, but will have to call a big bet if I check and he leads at it, so a smaller bet here finds out where I am, as he won't raise me here without a big hand.

River:

I prefer to check call this because I'm only going to get called when I'm beat here, but he may bet when I'm not.

Lori

octaveshift
08-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for your candor!

I had read his limp as weak, and was trying to push him off his hand and protect my blind. Now I see that my raise was too little to do so.

I saw his smooth call as a sign of weakness as well, and was right, but he caught the four flush on the flop.

Bad play from the start, when it's all said and done.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MikeGuz
08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Looks like a routine sort of hand to the turn. I will be eigther checking preflop or going all in. I like the check here. CHeck fold the flop. You worked to hard here to dump it all with no real info.

I don't know how you rated this bb player but he made a horrible call of your raise pre flop and maybe a reallly bad one on the turn I like an all in on the turn onsidering the size of the pot and your remaining stack but this guy is determined to suck out a str8 or flush here you look doomed to finish 3rd here since you decided to play the hand the way you did. I can't criticize yor play here I'd rather see a guy play agressivally and lose going down like a man than check to the river and lose with trip K to a flush which you surely couldn't get away from.