PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this flopped set?

Saborion
08-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t1020)
UTG+2 (t785)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t635)
Hero (t790)
Button (t830)
SB (t770)
BB (t785)
UTG (t785)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, MP3 calls t60.

Flop: (t250) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, UTG+1 calls t75.

Turn: (t475) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets t75</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t485 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t85.

River: (t1445) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1445
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1445 (t1445), between MP3 and Hero.</font>

Tommy R
08-22-2004, 10:32 AM
I would have gone all-in after the flop with a possible flush. There is not much value in slow playing becuase your opponent was low on chips and might be looking to go all-in. Make him/her pay for their flush draw or go all-in on top pair or something worse.

Saborion
08-22-2004, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is not much value in slow playing becuase your opponent was low on chips and might be looking to go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot was 3-handed.

[ QUOTE ]
Make him/her pay for their flush draw or go all-in on top pair or something worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he has the last A, I'm likely to get his money on the turn anyway. And this way I'll get to see if the turn card brings a /images/graemlins/club.gif or not. Maybe that's bad though?

Cornbread Maxwell
08-22-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is not much value in slow playing becuase your opponent was low on chips and might be looking to go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot was 3-handed.

[ QUOTE ]
Make him/her pay for their flush draw or go all-in on top pair or something worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he has the last A, I'm likely to get his money on the turn anyway. And this way I'll get to see if the turn card brings a /images/graemlins/club.gif or not. Maybe that's bad though?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd make a reasonable sized raise on the flop. When you flop top set (especially of Aces), you're just hoping your opponent has a flush draw or other big hand. If they have a hand like JJ-QQ, they'll figure you have an Ace and probably give up on the turn anyways, so it's best to push your set on the flop here.

Tommy R
08-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Your low on chips here, I would play this hand as fast as possible. The first to act as put a decent size bet in and by coming over the top all-in you are likely to double up. I would not worry about kicking the player out behind as you need chips. The player behind is likely to either fold to the $75 bet anyway on average or ocassionally might call your all-in bet.

Saborion
08-22-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they have a hand like JJ-QQ, they'll figure you have an Ace and probably give up on the turn anyways, so it's best to push your set on the flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes you think they'll have JJ-QQ since there was no pre-flop raise? And if they plan to give up on the turn, why would they call the flop raise when the pot odds clearly says fold?

If I raise the flop and they call with a flush draw, they will be left in such a bad shape on the turn + the fact that the pot odds is likely to say call, that they will call the turn as well. Isn't it therefore better to wait with the raise until I've seen the turn card? On this particular board, there are no obvious draws except the flush draws.

Saborion
08-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, after giving it some thought, I believe the best move would be to push and be happy with the money that is in the pot. If called, that's fine as well. The stacks are too small to bother a little bit more money, and they are also too small to raise a few hundred imo.

Anyways. MP3 flipped over 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the turned straight and took it down.

ajizzle
08-22-2004, 05:21 PM
RAISE THE FLOP. Only choice you have. You have to protect your hand from getting drawn out on that early in the tourney. WIN SMALL POTS, DONT LOSE BIG ONES.

Ajizzle

parappa
08-23-2004, 06:04 AM
I play this really fast. Push the flop and hope he's made enough that he wants to call. In 10s, I rarely slowplay a set even when the flop is rags. Perhaps I don't get full value out of them, but the loose players at my level means that they're going to pay me off more than they should. If they've got a 4-flush or even the straight draw, they're often staying for their whole stack anyway, so I like to get the money in.

SixgunSam
08-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I think Brunson points out in Super System that when an Ace flops there is always the possibility that the next card off will make someone a straight to beat your trips.

jac394
08-23-2004, 09:32 AM
If the flush hit on the turn would you have been able to fold your set? I don't think I would have been able to lay it down, so that is another reason to move in on the flop.

Saborion
08-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Please explain to me how someone could make a straight on the turn when the flop is A93.

Phill S
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
25, turn of 4
24, turn of 5
45, turn of 2

every straight must have a 5 or T in it, however with an Ace on board, you can choose any two of the other cards and i can pick out any turn to make a possible straight. i cant think of any two that wont let me

Saborion
08-23-2004, 06:34 PM
My bad. I had just gotten out of the bed when posting that. Now I'm embarrassed. /images/graemlins/blush.gif