PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tabling, how avoid being bluffed out or become calling-station?

House-Lion
08-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I think I have some general problem bleeding chips.

I have a problem believing in post-flop-raises from other players since there are so many maniacs or WPT-watchers on Party and before getting a read on a player I often asume they try to bluff me out.

Sometimes when the board makes a pair or flush or str-combo on the turn or river I get raised or bet into and this makes play become tricky and expensive, both in loosing bets when I should raise and when loosing when I was behind.

I use poker-tracker, so I am not getting all the reads until after the session, but I try to take notes on players at the tables when I see something wild or fishy and what kind of hole-cards they limp or cold-call with from various positions.

I also try to note down anyone making a move at some point.

Also many solid players do a lot of semi-bluffing or they simply have a read on my play and act accordingly.

How do you solve or cope with the problems of pursuing a bluff or fold a second best hand when multi-tabling without a good read yet?

How many tables do you considder feasible? I am trying to learn to play 6 now but it seems like I have trouble with so many decissions in so short time.

A friend of mine has no trouble playing 8 6-max-tables but he is about to become a online-poker expert at the higher stakes.

When multi-tabling, do you tighten up considderable and let go of many marginal hands from the earlier and middle-position and even late position to save time and trouble?

My reads from poker-tracker indicates that many of the multi-tabling rocks and regulars on party have a very low vp$ip like down to 11% or lower.

House-Lion
08-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I'll add a few hands to clarify

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.16 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB and UTG+1.</font>

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (16 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19 BB, between Hero, SB and BB.</font>

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.16 BB, between MP2, Hero and Button.</font>

House-Lion
08-23-2004, 02:24 AM
bump!

balkii
08-23-2004, 02:35 AM
play less tables

bisonbison
08-23-2004, 02:37 AM
If you are having trouble playing X number of tables at Y limit, either play less than X or move down from Y. I've been 4-tabling 3/6 for about a month now and I feel fine doing that, but I've been 4-tabling since .5/1.

Were you successful at 2/4 multitabling? Were you successful at 3/6 singletabling? How long have you been multitabling? Are you aware of ways to keep up with opponent stats in the middle of sessions?

In short, why are you multitabling if it's causing you problems?

<font color="white">3000 posts</font>

House-Lion
08-23-2004, 02:53 AM
I were successfull at 2/4 with 4 tables and I think I were it on 3/6 with 5 tables, so I am pretty sure 4 tables is no problem.

I have found out that 3/6 is very much more aggressive than 2/4 and this comes from both solid players and more LAGs and generallly less weak players. Problem is to catch the LAGs and respect the weak players raises and also not be caught by unnessessary traps and raises.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware of ways to keep up with opponent stats in the middle of sessions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have some tips on this issue?

If I see a LAG or someone else come to river with a dubious holding I try to note that down, or if they try to make a bluff against me. I also try to note the calling-stations who will call the river with a small pocket-pair.

balkii
08-23-2004, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
Are you aware of ways to keep up with opponent stats in the middle of sessions?

Do you have some tips on this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use PT game-time windows, they're great. I run 4 tables on 1 monitor and 4 game-time windows on the other. Request HHs every 14 minutes and import them.

Inthacup
08-23-2004, 03:58 AM
For starters don't open limp UTG+2 with QJ unless the table is especially loose passive, which this one does not appear to be.

Flop: (17 SB) T, Q, 5 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Raise the flop. With that kind of action preflop, you need to ram and jam early to charge any draws.

It seems like these are mistakes you would make regardless of whether you're playing 1 table or 4. I don't see how cutting back on the tables is going to help.
Cup

House-Lion
08-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Ok, so maybe I should scrap some openinghands from early position, specially considdering the 3/6-tables becomes awfully tight during Euro-day-time.

Flop: (17 SB) T, Q, 5 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.
I didnt think anyone were going anywhere to a raise since it was capped pre-flop so I wanted to raise the turn instead to thin out the field. Maybe this line of thought is wrong?

You say I should charge the draws, and that aspect I can understand, but I do not want the draws to come to the river and I cant get them to fold post flop, or can I?

JTG51
08-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Folding QJs in EP is way too tight.

Inthacup
08-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Are you making this as a blanket statement in any table conditions?