PDA

View Full Version : two pair on flush board, lay it down?

bismillahno
08-22-2004, 07:32 AM
As I've just moved from play money to real money SNG's, it seemed appropriate to move from lurker to poster. A big thanks to all those who've taught me 99.98% of what I know about playing these things (I knew how to operate a mouse before this forum /images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Pokerroom 10+1 SNG, ~5th hand, 9 players left, one big stack, most others around 1500 (including hero). BB is t20.

Hero 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in BB.

5 limpers, hero checks.

flop; 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, <font color="red"> </font> Hero bets t125, <font color="black"> </font> three folds, CO calls t125, 1 fold.

turn; K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, CO bets t275, Hero?

Is a fold too weak here?

Phill S
08-22-2004, 07:41 AM
i suspect your beaten.

on the flop i would of checked this into them. if they bet you go for a big re-raise (perhaps all-in, depending on your style of play).

if its checked around and the flush came, well, you cant win em all. check again, and call a smallish bet (again, its up to you what you consider small).

as for the way you played it, perhaps id have bet out (say another 100) on the turn, its a 'i have a hand bet, but not enough to bet big' kind of bet, and you may get raised, if so muck the hand and just move on.

i dont think i need to cover what you should do if the flush didnt come on the turn.

good luck in your future as a SnG player,
Phill

patrick dicaprio
08-22-2004, 08:02 AM
one problem is that in an unraised pot you dont know if he was playing overcards. if it is unraised he could be in there with KQ or even AK (although most raise with it) and hit a King. tough call but with low blinds you also have to recognize that you can lose a lot of your stack if you call and then have to call again on the river, because it makes no sense to call here but not on the river. against a good player it is tough to see what you beat but then again he is probably not a good player.

Pat

js13_tps
08-22-2004, 08:08 AM
i'm new to the online money games as well, would be interested in seeing the general consensus on this.

My guess is:

His PF limp, he has nothing.
His flop call means he isn't scared of top pair.
His turn bet isn't pot sized, so he wants you along for the ride.

He either has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,9 or K9, giving him TPTK on flop, or TPGK. and the turn card made him top 2 pair or nut flush, and he's hoping you have a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and top or middle pair so you'll bite. (maybe the 8 or a 4, but am thinking he has an A or K for sure.

Easy laydown? I'd say yes, but i'm nobody.

bismillahno
08-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I did end up folding, figuring it was too early to risk too much of my stack so early. I ultimately finished 4th.

[ QUOTE ]

on the flop i would of checked this into them. if they bet you go for a big re-raise (perhaps all-in, depending on your style of play).

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks a much better play, didn't actually think of a check raise at the time. Will try and tuck that away for the future.

12 tournaments into my "career", I'm up $37 /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Pretty happy as a starting point, especially since I was OOTM for my first four.