PDA

View Full Version : good lord poker is popular...

PITTM
08-22-2004, 04:36 AM
so after a party, me and my buddy stopped by the doughnut shop down the street at around 1am, i look back and there are 8 kids ages 14-17, boys and girls both, playing hold em around a table at the doughnut shop at 1am with some composite chips and bee cards. i thought i was seeing things, what a weird sight.

rj

Blarg
08-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Cool. That's what's going to keep poker strong for a long time to come. God Bless Television!

garyg1
08-22-2004, 02:22 PM
sure is, found the same thing here. Talked to my neighbor a couple houses up the street who has a son in pretty serious little league baseball playing games and tournaments throughout florida plus the national event in the midwest last year. He said all the kids play hold-em at night at the motels when traveling. Then my grandson from out of state came into town this week and found that all his group does the same at his city and regional baseball games. This is gonna be an even tougher game to win at in a few years when these kids grow up!!!

manpower
08-22-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is gonna be an even tougher game to win at in a few years when these kids grow up!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
My anectdotal evidence says otherwise. There's a huge poker scene going on these days in college and I see no one, I mean no one, putting in effort to study the game. People just like to gamble and poker is a fun game to play. Granted, most stuff is pretty low stakes, But if someone hosts a 30 person tourney in their house, I'll be surprised to see more than one person there who knows more about the game than what they saw on celebrity poker showdown.

Losing all
08-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Did you teach them any of your "tricks"?

PITTM
08-22-2004, 03:52 PM
i am in complete agreement. i didnt make this post as a positive. It isnt good that kids are seriously gambling at 12+ nowadays, also, gambling and poker are 2 different ideas. These guys are just pushing all in every hand and not learning the game. while it may be great for 2+2ers that there is a new breed of young kids playing poker, it is a pretty bad situation to get yourself into as a kid. sure, we all played nickel games for a little enjoyment, but it seems like its gotten too serious for underage kids to be doing it.

rj

Blarg
08-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Guess it depends on the stakes. Kids used to take games with marbles and baseball cards way too seriously sometimes, and then Yugi-Oh or Magic: The Gathering and what all. There's always something kids get over-crazy about.

I think it's more dangerous when you're an adult. Kids are almost expected and supposed to do stupid stuff. If they find out that poker can smack them around if they play it too much or play it wrong, it's a pretty cheap lesson at the age of 12. It can be catastrophic at 20 or 30 or 40. Might even be better off to get it out of your system when you're young, like lots of other things.

Webster
08-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Many moons ago when I was in high school we played a little paper triangle football game.

Now - that play BAD NL poker. They play against other bad players and win on bad plays. We have a generation of online fish coming.

Airpoaneman
08-23-2004, 08:26 AM
My first classes start in 2 hours at college. Welcome week was this weekend and I played poker with some guys that I met. First thing that they said when some one mentioned poker was " I am in " and " I am the best at poker." I though dear lord, what is this [censored].

10 guys $10.00 buy in there was one kid that was okay just because he didnt play crap hands...thats it.

I mean these guys sucked soooooooooo bad it wasnt even funny. THey bluffed at every hand. Bluffing into Aces and Jacks or playing the flush when I actually had it.

The fact is...no one wants to read a damn book to learn how to play a game they think they are already good at...there is a pride blockade with their mentality. They will never be any good, people like you guys will always have people who will feed them.

But the thing is, most of these guys dont trust online poker. They say that there could be cheaters out there. So TV needs to push online poker and make them understand that they need to play online poker because it is FUN, and because they COULD win money.

After the game was done I fould a group of 8 guys playing poker, none knew how to play except this one kid who learned in India. They deal the cards to the right and have messed up rules...it was funny.

Boltsfan1992
08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Hiya -

I teach high school. The game of choice to waste time until the next class with high school boys is Texas Hold 'em. Before I stop them, I listen to what they are doing and see if they know any better. They just copy what is seen on tv. (Dude, that guy played this hand on tv and won $1 million dollars - that has GOT to be a good hand!) I think we'll see more of that thinking.

I play in a home game and there is a college student there who plays with us (son of one of the regulars). He emulates what is seen on tv, but does not understand the theory. His friends don't either - he routinely beats his friends. He won't pick up a book or study the game because he already is winning among his friends, why would he need to read? Right now he is more lucky than good. His mother continuously takes money from him and he criticizes her play at our table. She always calls him from the blinds and wins...funny stuff...

Anyway, if the work ethic I see in class is any indicator, the next generation of players will not be any different. I think we will see a large majority of gamblers and a small percentage (1-5%) who will study the game. Studying is too much work when playing a lot and getting lucky winning a few pots will do just fine.

I guess that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

FWIW -

PB

Officer Farva
08-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey man, good luck at school, keep us updated...

I wish there were as many fish at my school. All the kids I play with know what they're doing to a certain extent. Plus, they all have dadies' money to throw around, so they don't fold when you want them to.

I still beat them though, thanks to 2 + 2

Anadrol 50
08-23-2004, 07:41 PM
I hope these young kids don't give up on traditional vices, like smoking weed....

Airpoaneman
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Weed smokers and boozers are the future of low stake NL fish. They think they are studs and will lose their shorts every time. Fellas...even the ladies are getting into the game...that could be a very potential source of entertainment for us college guys if you know what I mean. Ya the guys that I was playing with dont have much money, most of them barely can afford to pay for college as it is(like me).

Anyway, the teacher man is right, they WILL NOT read a FKIN BOOK if they already THINK they they are DAMN GOOD at poker. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Man I cant wait until I start playing more poker.

Good Luck everyone. Keep the "trickle up" system goin fellas. Thats how all the money gets into your pockets.

I dont have a room mate, mine went to another college(UT), and i love not having one. Have enough friends and DONT HAVE TO SHARE A FKIN ROOM....life is good.

Peace, Praise the lord.

Airpoaneman at Baylor University.

PITTM
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
i think i picked up their slack on that one, i can do both!

rj

Greg J
08-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I was one of the guys that gave you a hard time when you first started here, so to be fair I will say nice post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for me, I hope to find some nice undergrad fishies around here within the next few months that I can make a pretty penny off of.

Greg J
08-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Everytime I see Gus Hansen raise something like A5o in a shorthanded NL game I thank him, beacuse I know that guys I play online now will think this is a good hand to play in a full ring microlimit game in any position. And when a pro on TV bets with bottom pair heads up in a large pot, these guys will do the same thing. I am convinced that these shows have made us on this board a LOT of money. As for these guys improving, most people are too lazy to inform themselves of much of anything if it isnt spoonfed to them. TV poker is spoonfeeding poker "knowledge."

This thread makes me hopeful.

Blarg
08-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Haha! Me too! It's all good news!