PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story

sthief09
08-22-2004, 01:48 AM
I've been teaching some of my friends to play over the summer. I sent one of them over to Borders to get SSH. He went there and asked a guy for poker books.

The guy takes him over and shows him "Play Poker Like the Pros" and says "you should get this book. it's really good." my friend, having heard about how bad that book is, responds, "yeah... it's a good book... you should keep recommending it to people."

as much as it's bullshit that Hellmuth has his crappy book being recommended, it's pretty funny that some people who are trying to get better are being shown a book that's going to set them back a full year.

MEbenhoe
08-22-2004, 02:00 AM
I personally love the fact that all the bookstore people push Hellmuth's book for some reason. I did find it pretty funny one time I went to a bookstore with a friend to purchase HPFAP and he was purchasing TOP and as we were checking out the salesman suggested we check out Phil Hellmuth's book. I resisted the urge to laugh and tell him that these were real poker books and that Hellmuth's book was junk.

I did check out Hellmuth's book from my library one time just to see if it was any good when it first came out. In my opinion i've only read one poker strategy book worse than that and that is More Hold Em Excellence by Lou Krieger (the exception to my usual stance that you can learn something even from a bad book).

P.S. if anyone wants to purchase a copy of More Hold Em Excellence in almost brand new condition, I have one available.

nolanfan34
08-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Did they actually have a copy of Ed's book? Last few book stores I've been in it's been sold out. Always lots of copies of Phil's book though.

Also, if it's my brother-in-law's birthday, and I want to get him a poker book, and I intentionally buy him Ken Warren's Texas Hold 'Em, does that make me a bad person?

sthief09
08-22-2004, 03:03 AM
yeah, Borders had it. it's a monstrously large Borders though.

nothumb
08-22-2004, 03:57 AM
It's one of the most prominently featured poker books in most stores and on some websites as well. They pushed the crap out of that thing. I say, good for them! Let's keep those kids pushing 44 to the max!

NT