PDA

View Full Version : if anyone read the odds part of ssh please help me out here

TheSheath
08-22-2004, 01:20 AM
ok i am not a math guy. i pride myself on my reading hands ability. but when i read the odds part and stuff and the ratios i understood it but didn't lol. lemme just get some things straight.

a 22:1 or 22-1 odd is not good correct (and isn't 22:1 and 22-1 the same thing or am i wrong about that too?)

and what does miller mean by 10.5-1 being break even. is 7-1 better than 12-1?? i think it is or am i just mixing up numbers. i read the sections a couple times and unless i read it wrong everytime he said if he has 23-1 odds and he has to call a bet he would call it. wouldn't u want to call a 3-1 instead of a 23-1 or once again am i just reading it wrong.

now i could be totally mixed up so take it easy on me. i dont like numbers. thank you.

kpux
08-22-2004, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a 22:1 or 22-1 odd is not good correct??

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, these are poor odds. What the book is saying is that for you to invest 1BB more into this pot, there has to be already 22BB in there. This will be a break even play for whenever you make your hand, there are 22 other times that you don't. So in the long run, you will not profit at all, but you will not lose either.

12:1 will be better than 7:1 if you are calling a bet. When you have 12:1, you have to put in 1BB with a chance of winning 12BB, while at 7:1 you put in 1BB with the chance of winning only 7BB.

If you are talking about the chance of making your hand, then 7:1 is "better" than 12:1. If the odds of making your hand are 7:1, you will make it 1 in every 8 times, while at 12:1 you will make it only 1 in every 13 times.

I hope this helps, I'm a little drunk so maybe it sounds garbled

TheSheath
08-22-2004, 01:37 AM
lol that helps thank you and maybe if i were drunk i would be able to figure these odds out. thank you.

GlemZurg
08-22-2004, 01:53 AM
Hi there.

The 22:1 means 22 of one thing and 1 of another. In the case of the pot odds it means 22 bets in the pot vs. your 1 bet.

In card odds, say 11:1, it means for every 11 times you will miss your hand on a draw there will be 1 time you make it. Or in others words you will miss your draw 11/12 the time and hit your draw 1/12 the time.

So for pot odds, larger left numbers are better. A pot with odds of 20:1 means that there are 20 bets currently in the pot. A pot of with odds of 3:1 means that there are 3 bets currently in it.

With draws, lower left numbers are better. A draw with 22:1 means that you will only make your draw 1/23 the time. A draw with odds of 2:1 means that you will make your draw 1/3 the time.

The reference to 10.5:1 being break even is about when you are on 4th street drawing 4 cards and the situation is: you win if you make your draw, you lose if you miss it.

A successful draw will happen 1 time for every 10.5 times it misses.

The pot could be anything but if the pot is less then 10.5 big bets then the play costs you money. Fo example say the pot has 10 bets in it. The 1 time you hit your draw you make 10 bets, the other 10.5 times you lose one bet. After 11.5 hands (love thet .5), you've lost 0.5 betting units.

If the pot is exactly 10.5 bets, then after 11.5 hands you have neither one or lost any money. You lost 1 bet 10.5 times and made 10.5 bets the 1 time you hit your draw.

If the pot is 11 bets, then after 11.5 hands, you've lost 1 bet 10.5 times and made 11 bets 1 time. So you made 0.5 betting units.

These ending paragraphs are confusing me a little (lol)

Hepe this helps though,
Justin

GlemZurg
08-22-2004, 02:26 AM
Just noticed your question about "-". I don't know about "22-1" but "22-to-1" and "22:1" are the same thing.

I don't know about you but I sometimes have trouble wrapping my head around the odds because I naturally think of hitting draws as percentages. Like: I will hit my draw 25% of the time. And the equivalent ratio (3:1) defuses my logic circuit. So I just remember that regarding the left hand ratio numbers:

(pot left hand number > card left hand number) = good
(pot left hand number = card left hand number) = break even
(pot left hand number < card left hand number) = bad

Justin

TheSheath
08-23-2004, 01:04 AM
thanks a lot. now i get it completely. i appreciate u really dumbing it down for me b/c that really worked. thanks again.

JustOnce
08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi, I thought I understood probabilities pretty well, but maybe I'm a little confused /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
If the odds are 7:1, won't this occur once every 7 times not 8? Say you're flipping a coin at 2:1 odds. Won't heads occur once every 2 times, not 3? Or maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

pudley4
08-23-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I thought I understood probabilities pretty well, but maybe I'm a little confused /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
If the odds are 7:1, won't this occur once every 7 times not 8? Say you're flipping a coin at 2:1 odds. Won't heads occur once every 2 times, not 3? Or maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying the odds of something are "A:B" is the same as saying "For every A times the first thing happens, the second will happen B times". So odds of 7:1 mean the first thing wlll happen 7 times for every 1 time the second does. You need to add these two together to find out the total number of attempts.

So a coin flip is 1:1 odds - 1 time a tail for every 1 time a head. It's also expressed as 1 in 2.

Rolling a 3 on a single die is 5:1 - 5 misses for every one time a 3 is rolled. It's also 1 in 6.

JustOnce
08-23-2004, 02:50 PM
OK, I see now, it makes sense. Thanks for clearing things up!

jedi
08-23-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a 22:1 or 22-1 odd is not good correct (and isn't 22:1 and 22-1 the same thing or am i wrong about that too?)

[/ QUOTE ]

22:1 hand odds (you will complete your draw or win the hand 1 time for every 22 times you lose) aren't good.

22:1 POT odds (you pay 1 bet to win 22) are very good.