PDA

View Full Version : 2 early tournament situations

mrbaseball
08-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Stars 36+3 satelite.

Situation One
It's first round with 10/20 blinds with all stacks about 1500. I open raise to 60 from mid position with AKo. All fold to button who reraises to 180.

What do you generally do in this situation? Call? Fold? Reraise? Push? I just hate getting too involved too early with a draw.

Situation 2
Same tourney now in level 2 with 15/30 blinds. I'm in BB with Q2o. 3 limpers and I check the option. Flop hits Q82 rainbow. I bet the pot. All fold to button who calls. I have about 3K in chips and button has about 2K. Turn is an 8. I check? My 2 pair is queered now and what was he calling the flop with? Anyway he bet 480. I folded quickly. Anyone play this differently?

betgo
08-22-2004, 09:37 AM
In situation 1, I reraise to 500, and move in on just about any flop. The play is usually loose in early rounds, so there is a good chance you have the best hand. I think these are rebuys, so he could have anything. At a really tight table with a tight opponent, I might flat call.

In situation 2, I bet 2/3 pot on the turn. If reraised, you may need to fold. If called, I would check the river and maybe fold to a large bet. By checking, you represent that you don't have an 8, and your opponent may be stealing.

mrbaseball
08-22-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think these are rebuys

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wasn't a rebuy tourny. I called? But I usally do come over the top in this situation. I then check folded the flop looking for better opportunites.

In sitaution 2 he may very well have stolen it. But I was in real good chip position already having doubled and once again decided with no kicker that it didn't make much sense in bleeding off a bunch more chips so early with lots of better chances probably on the horizon.

betgo
08-22-2004, 10:51 AM
In situation 2, your opponent may be as afraid of tat 8 as you are. By checking, you seem to be throwing up a white flag saying please steal this pot. Two pair is pretty good hand, which I wouldn't throw away that easily.

mrbaseball
08-22-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you seem to be throwing up a white flag

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! I surrendered when my 2 pair bit the dust to the board and I had no kicker. But early on letting a guy know he can steal from can pay big dividends down the road.

Dentist
08-22-2004, 12:16 PM
both situations played correct I think.

you missed flop #1... you were highly likely beat.

you were ruined by the turn in #2 - surely he wouldn't have called without a queen or 8... it's over.

betgo
08-22-2004, 12:18 PM
What makes you think your opponent has an 8? It seems more likely he has a Q.

Deelah
08-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Situation 1: What would a world class player do? Move over the top of him risking to run into a big pair and get busted? I donīt think so. You shouldnīt do it either. Call him and hope to hit the flop.

Situation 2: You played it fine and were just unlucky the 8 paired. Try to check it down as you did or fold to his better hand.

mrbaseball
08-22-2004, 12:38 PM
I don't assume he has an 8. But I figure he has a Q or an 8 and if he has a Q he has me outkicked.