PDA

View Full Version : middle pair short handed

eecswrx
08-22-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't have the HH sorry.

Party poker 1/2 game. I am sitting on button with K9s.

Preflop everyone folds to CO, CO calls, me (button) calls, SB folds BB checks.

Flop comes A, K, 4 rainbow. The 4 is of my suit.

BB checks, CO bets, I raise (with middle pair), BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: dud. CO checks, I check.

River: dud. CO checks, I check.

SHould I have bet the turn or river? I don't have that good of a read on the CO, but is definitely not a LAG. Shoudl I have just give this up on teh flop? 3-way i couldn't fold middle pair, but I did not want to be stuck in calling mode so I saw it as either a fold or raise situation. I threw the raise out there, if I was re-raised or the CO bet again at me on the turn then I would fold (putting CO on top pair good kicker). Otherwise I get a free card for my backdoor flush or possible 2 pair / trip (not many outs i know).

Results were that the CO had A7s and took down the small pot.

CO said soemthing along the lines of, "why did you raise with that hand". Joking I said "I am a really bad player" and he said, "yeah you are, keep playing like that". THen I said something like, "you jsut gave me a free turn & free showdown with the best hand ... who is the bad player?"

Should I have bet turn or river?

Kluddeludde
08-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the forum, eecswrx.

First off, I would raise preflop. When someone limps first in in CO, they rarely have a good hand.

Since you didn't, though, I would play the flop like you did, but I would most certainly bet the turn as well. You haven't shown any strength preflop, and CO may very well be on a steal or possibly a weak pair.

I would be inclined to bet the river as well, but arguments can be made for checking here.

Oh, and post this in the micro-limit forum next time, you will get more responese there.

Kludde

jt1
08-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I play it the same way as Kludde with the river bet as well.