PDA

View Full Version : Was This A Good Call Or Bad Call Based On...

Desdia72
08-21-2004, 10:39 PM
pot odds by my opponent? or was this something totally different? /images/graemlins/grin.gifafter i got over my atonishment, i tried to put myself in the other guy's shoes to see what would make him call the bet. then i immediately thought of pot odds. to the better SNG players, could this be a call where pot odds are figured and justifies the action? the math (odds) of poker is a subject that i'm still trying to get a grasp of.

*note: i had not played a hand since we arrived at the final table and i made a 450 raise preflop. i then followed up my pf raise with an all-in on the flop. the guy pondered a long time before he called. i'm thinking that maybe my opponent thought i was trying to steal the blinds and that the flop had missed me when he called, that maybe by me going all-in on a rag flop would make him fold. on the other hand, my thinking was, if i (a guy who had'nt played a hand since he got to the final table) raised pf and went all-in on the flop...he should obviously know i got something hefty.*

PokerStars Game #633135260: Tournament #2425272, Hold'em No Limit -
Level V (75/150) - 2004/08/21 - 21:49:57 (ET)
Table '2425272 1' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: ryancanfly (6240 in chips)
Seat 3: dragonangel (935 in chips)
Seat 4: drmlew (2545 in chips)
Seat 5: slim337 (5492 in chips)
Seat 6: becktn (3195 in chips)
Seat 7: Desdia72 (2235 in chips)
Seat 8: KatieDoo (2470 in chips)
Seat 9: hawkm55 (3888 in chips)
slim337: posts small blind 75
becktn: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Desdia72 [Kh Kd]
Desdia72: raises 300 to 450
KatieDoo: folds
hawkm55: folds
ryancanfly has timed out
ryancanfly: folds
ryancanfly is sitting out
dragonangel: folds
drmlew: calls 450
slim337: folds
becktn: folds
*** FLOP *** [5c 7s 3h]
Desdia72: bets 1785 and is all-in
ryancanfly has returned
drmlew: calls 1785
*** TURN *** [5c 7s 3h] [Ah]
*** RIVER *** [5c 7s 3h Ah] [4d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Desdia72: shows [Kh Kd] (a pair of Kings)
drmlew: shows [3d Ad] (two pair, Aces and Threes)
drmlew collected 4695 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4695 | Rake 0

fatduck
08-21-2004, 10:48 PM
He's calling ~1800 to win ~4700. Let's say he puts you on an overpair lower than AA. He has two outs to trips and three outs to two pair. He also has a backdoor straight draw and his cards are sooooooted so they get an extra 25% chance to win.

No, he does not have pot odds to make this call.

Desdia72
08-21-2004, 11:46 PM
someone calls a pf raise with low pps to catch a trip card;
however, the time it took him to call the bet made me think he did'nt have a set. although it was a rainbow rags flop for someone with an overcard hand, the board did represent str8 possibilities. even in that scenario, i could'nt see a guy calling a pf raise with 6 5o, 6 5suited, 8 6o-8 6suited-type hands etc. then again, would'nt a str8 draw call in this scenario involve pot odds?

Phill S
08-22-2004, 08:15 AM
you play at the $5.5 level.

conclusions about your own game can be few and far between, conclusions about others game can be pointless.

maybe he was just bad, maybe it was my mate who gets bored and does stupid fishy things, the likelyhood is he doesnt know what pot odds are.

unless he comes on here and posts a responce to why he did it, your not gonna get a proper answer.

and no, no one here would call preflop here, let alone after.

Phill

patrick dicaprio
08-22-2004, 08:22 AM
the only way this is a good call is if he thought you were bluffing. you werent. i think the players that know how to play that would make this call are very few and far between. i wouldnt even have called a small bet with his hand and would have folded preflop.

Pat

Desdia72
08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
maybe he thought i was trying to steal (bluff) at the blinds (pot) and thought the flop missed me. seeing that he at least had a piece of it, my all-in move still puts him to the test because even with the low board, he only has bottom pair.

Tommy R
08-22-2004, 10:22 AM
The original call here was not correct we all agree on that. To make the call after the flop he/she must have had you on AK or AQ or something similar. If you had one of these hands you would have been drawing to just one card. However, given you went all in after the flop it was a big risk to put you on AK or AQ.

You copped a bad beat but that's poker.