PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Blinds vs. Shortstack/Pot Odds question.

SixgunSam
08-21-2004, 03:27 PM
I think I made lots of mistakes on this hand, especially in my raise PF.

Blinds at this stage were 50/100.

I am on the button with t2600 with 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB has t800
BB has t860

Folded to me.

I decide I am going to try to steal the blinds. In retrospect, I made a mistake by making it t400 to go. SB folds and then the BB re-raises me 300 more. Right now, there is 1150 in the pot and I am getting close to 4:1 to call, but I know he is going all in on the flop, so my real odds are closer to 3:1. I go ahead and push, he calls and shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I end up drawing out on him and winning the pot.

Even though I won this hand, it didn't feel good. How should I have played this hand if I wanted to go for the steal? Should I be pushing all-in here vs. small stacks like that? Should I be less apt to consider stealing with rags against stacks that small? I assume my call was correct getting the 3:1 odds, wasn't it? Thanks for your input.

Greeksquared
08-21-2004, 06:19 PM
If you have been stealing alot then this would be a bad play as the blinds will go in with a wide range of hands. By your raise of 400 you will have to call their all in. SO if you are going to raise..either raise all in or min raise. You might be able to fold if reraised all in to your min raise.

Also..I like stealing the blinds with absolute junk or maybe a suited connector(most people wont suspect you have those cards) and you have a healthy stack...you either fold easily to a reraise or make an easy steal. It makes poker a lot easier to play. If someone calls your raise with crap you may be able to win big when it hits...again no one will suspect what you have. If you only steal with mediocre hands like A9, A6, KJ or crap like that then what the hell do you when you hit anything less than two pair...it can be very dangerous as you might easily be outkicked. This makes poker harder to play and might cost you lots of chips when the blinds are high. Of course you may have them dominated so you should definitely not fold these hands when folded to near or on the button.

I like it when I have an easy decision to make...many people dont to take this into account when playing.

parappa
08-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Mho is with this size stack you don't need to steal the blinds; you can semi-steal so that you don't get caught out without a hand.

But if you want to steal in this situation, its fine, I'd do it with trash for 2-3xbb as suggested by greeksquared so I could fold to the reraise.