PDA

View Full Version : Noob Water Damage

theghost
08-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I've been playing online for a couple of months, have read several of the books (HE, WLLH, TOP, SSH), read this forum frequently and post occaisionally.

I only have ~4,000 hands in PT; usually I am either playing 1 table of poker while bonus whoring, or 2 tables of poker. I've only got spare time for around 500 hands/wk.

My newbie self is struggling a bit w/ reconciling my learning process with long term expectation on plays. The correct play is often one that gets a figurative slap on the wrist (my chips getting distributed to the other players at the table) - counterintuitive.

Another problem is that I don't know whether I am a winning player (though I do consider myself a thinking player). What I do know is I am down 60BB (which is nothing in the greater scheme of things, I know).

I know my game has leaks - I'm not playing any ace or any two suited, and I'm not playing too much from the SB, but I'm far from perfect.

I would be interested to hear about any significant leaks posters here might have caught early in their game (or later) - maybe I can plug some of my own...

jd

dogmeat
08-21-2004, 11:35 PM
You are a great player, no you are not, you are good, no, gee I don't know.

Sorry, my ESP will not allow me to tell you where your leaks are. If you don't know, and don't give us a few more hints (like hand histories), NOBODY will ever know.

As far a leaks I had in my game.........still have some, but most of them I plugged by reading posts in the SS (small stakes) and posting hands and getting told how stupid I was to play my hand the way I did. That's what it takes, some guts to bare your soul.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Blarg
08-22-2004, 12:28 AM
And a lot more hands than 4,000. You're right to keep looking hard for tendencies within that small number, but not necessarily correct to draw too many firm conclusions on too many things yet. 4k hands is a drop in the bucket. For instance one or two hands that went really well or badly could throw your AA and KK way out of line, and from there all over hands else would adjust out of line accordingly. Patience, grasshopper.