PDA

View Full Version : Hymn to the Uber-Passive

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-21-2004, 10:48 AM
UB 2/4 where I've been busy working off my SNG bonus from last month.

Extremely passive table. I'm in the BB with T /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP, MP, CO limp, SB completes, I check. 5 see the flop for 5 sb.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, I bet, they all call. 5 to the turn for 4.5 bb

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, I check, EP bets, MP fold, CO calls, SB folds, I raise, EP calls, CO folds. Heads up for 9.5 bb.

River: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Ugh. I bet, EP calls.

Comments? Results later.

Trix
08-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Looks good, dont think river is close. He wont have the J that often. Less than 20% imo.

JoeU
08-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Judging from the title off your post, he turned over JT or AA and paid the price. If it is AA, then he got what he deserved! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the hand looks fine. Ususally, I will check/call the river, but thats just me.

Joe

Trix
08-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Why check-call against a passive player ?

elindauer
08-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Are you worried about the river bet? It's unlikely that EP has hit his gutshot with you check-raising. It's MUCH more likely that he had a ten and now has a pair or two that he'll call a bet with. Definitely bet the river.

With these passive players and the two flush on the board and zero broadway I'd be inclined to bet the turn instead of check-raising, as it's a bit too likely it'll be check-through there for me. Besides, someone may be slowplaying a set or top two or something and is looking to raise the turn.

my 2 cents.
Eric

JoeU
08-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Sorry Trix, I wasn't implying that check/calling was the correct. I meant that I ocassionally do that, then slap my hand for playing so passively in the river myself.

I think betting the river is correct. If he is raised, he should call 1 more bet.

Joe

Guy McSucker
08-21-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't understand the turn check at all. What gives you the idea that someone in early position will bet? You want callers. Bet the turn.

Guy.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-21-2004, 12:17 PM
EP shows J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and takes down the pot.

The title of this post was my thanks to him for his passive post flop play. Against many players, I lose at least 2 more big bets. Of course, a reasonably decent player would've raised preflop and I'd have folded, but I'd much rather they play like this guy.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Looking back, it looks silly. But I'd been betting into the field from up front on a lot of hands, and when the complete brick hit on the turn I just felt that one of the first 2 behind me would bet if I checked.

The table broke after I was there 2 hours and I was up 44 big bets. I would have stayed there all day if I could.

Guy McSucker
08-21-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The title of this post was my thanks to him for his passive post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

His play was outstanding... for you! He just called the flop to allow others to swell the pot when you are way ahead, then bet the turn after your odd-looking check to allow you to swell the pot again with him having only three outs, and then finally forgot to raise on the river when there was nothing you could possibly hold that beat him.

He wasn't just passive. He was passive when you needed him to be, and aggressive when you needed him to be. What a gentleman!

Guy.