PDA

View Full Version : did I play it wrong?

guy
08-21-2004, 10:02 AM
in an online multi table no limit hold em tourney this hand came up and has been driving me crazy since. Six players were left with five places paying out. I was in third chip position with fourth right on my heels. UTG i come in for double the big blind with two black nines. It was folded to the BB who reluctantly called. the flop was a rainbow 2 4 6. BB checked to me and i went all in. the BB was the one in fourth chip position by the way, and he instantly called with A 6! well good turned bad when the ace spiked on the turn and I was left with less than a Big Blind in my stack. i couldn't believe he called, and i can't figure out who was wrong, me or mister A 6. Any comments will be appreciated, thanks for your help!

MrG
08-21-2004, 10:32 AM
I would come in for more preflop.
If you think about from his prespective he needs to make something happen as he is the short stack. He had made top pair with top kicker. Can he really wait for a better shot at the money? I think your bet is good but I think his call is also good. You just got unlucky.

Hydro
08-21-2004, 01:13 PM
I wouldnt have went all in on the flop, for what reason?

Why gamble all your chips and risk loosing when you can just throw in 3-4x the pot bet and hope to take it down there. If the guy was going to call all-in, he would have probably called the 3-4x aswell, but now you know he has something.

But it turned out to be a bad beat, if he woulda called no matter what the bet was post flop, then what could you do.. he had top pair, top kicker. Though I question your all in move, why risk your chips whenyou are in 3rd place? I rather lose 1/2 my stack then all of it on just a 99

joyride
08-21-2004, 01:29 PM
I absolutely hate the minimum raise preflop if you're trying to thin the field because it never really does what you think it should. He might have still stayed in if you'd raised 3x-4x with his ace-crap, but who knows.

And the push is just not right. You still only have a mediocre pair, even though they look damn good considering the board.

While I'm no genius(understatement of the year), I think you played it completely wrong.

dogmeat
08-21-2004, 04:57 PM
At this late stage you can't afford to let anybody get in cheap, especially with a medium pair as any overcard will slow you down. I would raise to 3-4 times the BB. If you get the same flop after this bet, you still want to go all-in. If he calls, well, you got a better hand beaten.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif