PDA

View Full Version : Lost in space

MrG
08-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I think I may have misplayed this hand on every street. Help.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed)

SB (t10139)
BB (t5320)
UTG (t4362)
Hero (t6200)
MP1 (t2450)
MP2 (t9668)
CO (t8923)
Button (t5545)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t400, Hero calls t400, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

I thought I could limp with UTG limping. Too passive? Is a folding possible here?

Flop: (t1575) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t800</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls t800.

This seems like a place where I am either raising or folding, but not calling.

Turn: (t3175) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Scared, scared, scared. I need to bet here right?

River: (t3175) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

Final Pot: t4775
<font color="green">Main Pot: t4775 (t4775), between SB and Hero.</font>

betgo
08-21-2004, 09:43 AM
I think you played it fine. Limping in was definately correct. You don't want to raise here. The only time to raise with 77 preflop is to steal the blinds or allin when you are short stacked. Getting 4-way action gives you great implied odds if you flop a set.

The SB in for 1/2 a bet is likely to have low cards, so I would put him on a 6 or a 5. Therefore, check-calling as you played is probably best. If you thought you were up against over cards, than you could bet/raise to win the pot.

Both preflop and on the flop, I think calling was best, but your only other option was to fold.

MrG
08-21-2004, 09:49 AM
So I am being results oriented since his AJo took the pot when the J hit on the river.

dogmeat
08-21-2004, 05:34 PM
You can't have a real hard-and-fast rule for everything, but I don't like to come-in with a medium pair utg for more than about 4% of my stack. My thinking is that if there is a standard raise I may still get to play it 3-handed for another 6%, or 10% total. If I limp for 7% of my stack and it is raised (as most hands are at this stage in tournaments), I have to risk 20-25% of my chips to see the flop.

However, you played the hand. No way of knowing where you stand, but I can't put the blind on a five. Maybe A-6 or just a five. I don't want to call, because sure as [censored] I will turn a straight draw, get odds to stay in, and lose my whole stack most of the time. I either fold it away or raise all-in, usually 90%-10% for those options.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

betgo
08-21-2004, 07:43 PM
This is actually a tricky situation. You are pretty sure you have the best hand on the flop. However, the SB could have a 5. You say you wouldn't put him on a 5, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Also, you have to be concerned about overcards, and you would kind of like to win the hand right away.

Going allin may be OK, but the problem is that if you get called you are probably totally beaten by a 5 or a higher pocket pair.

MLG
08-21-2004, 08:55 PM
If you are going to play this hand (and there is nothing wrong with limping here) you must move-in on this flop. If you are beaten so be it.

MrG
08-22-2004, 01:31 AM
After reading all the responses and thinking about this hand more than I really should I agree with you
: okay to limp but push it on the flop if he has a 8 or 5 than he has it and I am done. Thanks for the responses.

ron dogg
08-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Ok, I don't love the preflop call out of position. It's really hard to play medium pockets weather or not someone isolates you. Don't hate it, but I have to have a pretty good read of the table before i do something like that with less than 20x the BB.

No problem with the flop bet. I 110% of the time fire again on that card on the turn. It's not a great card for you (the 87 straight gets there) So if he has 2 overs, you need to find out right now where you are at and make him pay. I fire 1200 there.

If you checked the turn, you have to call that bet on the river, even though you are probably behind.

That is all,
R-