PDA

View Full Version : Movie review: The Blind Swordsman

Phat Mack
08-21-2004, 06:31 AM
I finally got to see the new Zatoichi movie.

First of all, there is no messing around: we get to see Zatoichi off a couple of bad guys within the first few seconds of the movie.

Secondly, the movie is complete in its assemblage of Zatoichi/samurai-flick plot elements. We have bad gangsters oppressing the peasants. We have gang rivalry and gang warfare. We have the quick-draw ronin (complete with tubercular wife) hiring out as body guard to one of the warring factions. We have the peripatetic damsel(s?) in distress, orphaned by the bad guys, looking for justice. We have the patented Zatoichi gambling scene, where they try to cheat him (poor blind guy) and don't like it when he catches them (one of the flick's best blood baths!). We have our homage-to-Kurosawa/Akutagawa rainy-day flash backs. We've got tear-jerking wifely seppuku.

But where this flick really excels is in foreshadowing. What is foreshadowed, interestingly enough for a samurai movie, is tap dancing; but considered as part of the vast samurai-tap-dancing movie genre, this is clearly one of the best.

Also, for anyone in need of a plain-and-simple Zatoichi fix, this is just the ticket. Thumbs up!

Sooga
08-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Yes, I saw this movie a couple weeks ago, and it is far better than the original Zatoichi which came out sometime in the 60's. Those of you guys that want a nice, character driven drama, go watch Twilight Samurai instead. Those of you guys who just want to see some dude rip the shreds out of some goons, definitely watch this movie. The swordfights in this movie make Kill Bill Vol. 1 look like a Disney movie.

Zeno
08-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Is this playing in movie theaters?

You need to post more Phat. Especially over in the new mid-high stakes forum for NL an PL. It's fun to pop over there once in awhile and throw some snowballs at El Diablo and Matt Flynn and then hide behind a barricade of obfuscation. Anyway, I enjoyed your post and I’m itching to see this movie.

-Zeno

DPCondit
08-21-2004, 03:56 PM
I heard this was good, this is in theaters? I am not familiar with Zatoichi, what are the names of some other Zatoichi movies? I might want to rent one and check it out.

Don

Phat Mack
08-21-2004, 08:14 PM
There were originally 25 or 26 Zatoichi movies. They were made from 1962 'til the late 80's. Most of them have titles with "Zatoichi" in them ("Zatoichi meets Yojimbo", "Zatoichi meets ..."). I liked the early ones that were shot in black and white. If you have it, they showed up on the IFC cable channel very early Sat. mornings--I don't know if they still do. I'm pretty sure the series is available on DVD.

Zatoichi was always played by the same guy, Shintaro Katsu. He was a round cheerfull looking guy who would never get cast as an action hero these days. Katsu died a while ago. I was worried about his replacement, but the new guy does a good job.

Phat Mack
08-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Those of you guys that want a nice, character driven drama, go watch Twilight Samurai instead.

I actually liked the sword fights in Twilight Samurai. I thought they seemed pretty realistic, especially the first one where he knocks out the drunk with the stick.

Phat Mack
08-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Is this playing in movie theaters?

Yeah, I just saw it at an art house. I saw the previews last spring, but it took a while to get here.

Especially over in the new mid-high stakes forum for NL an PL.

Thanks, I'll check it out. A while back, it seemed that all the posts were about online play--something I know nothing about.

Sooga
08-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Oh, absolutely the swordfights were realistic. That was my point. If you want to see a nice realistic drama, then Twilight Samurai is your movie. If you want to sit back and be entertained by a good action flick, then Zatoichi.