PDA

View Full Version : Dummest Rules in the Olympics

jstnrgrs
08-21-2004, 02:10 AM
A few months ago, we had a dumbest rules in sports thread that I thought was great, so I figured I'd try the same thing for the olympics. Here are my suggestions.

1) The run ahead rule (AKA mercy rule) in softball. It's not that I dislike the rule in principle, but I think a seven run lead with two innings to go is to small. Teams have come back from seven runs down before (in other tournaments). I think they should let the loosing team concede on their own if they have had enough.

2) Team Handball. This whole sport is rediculous. Players are suposed to dirbble, but it looks like they are always traveling to me. Is this sport even popular anywhere? I've never heard of it outside of the context of the olympics.

Usul
08-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Team handball is extremely popular in Europe as I understand it.

rusty JEDI
08-21-2004, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) Team Handball. This whole sport is rediculous. Players are suposed to dirbble, but it looks like they are always traveling to me. Is this sport even popular anywhere? I've never heard of it outside of the context of the olympics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows what version we played in highschool phys.ed. but we used to play it where you get 3 free steps then it was pass or dribble. Not sure if that is the real rules or not.

rJ

Martin Aigner
08-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Yep, thatīs correct

Martin Aigner
08-21-2004, 03:34 AM
Not quite extremly polular, but still played everywhere. There are some nations where itīs more popular though, such as Germany, Swedem, Danmark, Iceland. Spain. One might compare it to hockey. Very important sport in some countrys, not so popular in others.

Personally I think that handball is a very funny sport to play, which is physically extremly tough. Not a sport for somebody whoīs sniveling.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

RiverTheNuts
08-21-2004, 03:55 AM
7 runs in softball is a drumming, I go to the U of Arizona, perennial national powerhouse, and they have never given up a 7 run lead... ever

Francis Dollarhyde
08-21-2004, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
7 runs in softball is a drumming, I go to the U of Arizona, perennial national powerhouse, and they have never given up a 7 run lead... ever

[/ QUOTE ]

... and I'd be surprised if they ever had a 7 run lead ... ever. That sport is too pitching dominant.

CollegePlayer
08-21-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few months ago, we had a dumbest rules in sports thread that I thought was great, so I figured I'd try the same thing for the olympics. Here are my suggestions.

1) The run ahead rule (AKA mercy rule) in softball. It's not that I dislike the rule in principle, but I think a seven run lead with two innings to go is to small. Teams have come back from seven runs down before (in other tournaments). I think they should let the loosing team concede on their own if they have had enough.

[/ QUOTE ]