PDA

View Full Version : River decision...

Garland
08-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Stakes: $4/$8
Players: Crazy loose and passive. The one interesting one happens to be my main opponent UTG, an elderly jocular Japanese gentleman, let's call him Yoshi. He has a fondness for check-raising, especially on the river and he is tricky. So on to the action...

SB posts, BB posts, UTG (Yoshi) limps, UTG+1 limps, MP limps, Garland has Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and limps, SB completes, BB raps. Off we go!

Flop:

7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I like it /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

6 players

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP calls, Garland raises, SB cold calls 2, BB cold calls 2, UTG 3-bets, UTG+1 drops, MP calls, Garland caps for value, SB cold calls, BB cold calls, UTG calls, MP calls. I was planning to check the turn on a non-spade card...

5 players

Turn:

9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hmmm...now I have top pair. Too juicy to check! Garland bets!, SB calls, BB calls, UTG check-raises!!, MP drops, Garland behaves and calls, SB calls, BB calls.

4 players

River:

9/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, Garland ????

Results forthcoming...

Garland

Hiding
08-20-2004, 10:59 PM
raises the river,should have folded pre flop but got lucky, Q9 suited or not suited is junk.

bakku
08-20-2004, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raises the river,should have folded pre flop but got lucky, Q9 suited or not suited is junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding preflop here is way too tight.

bakku
08-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Garland, what are UTG's limping standards? You say he's tricky but don't say if he's loose or not. If he's loose I raise thinking i just rivered his two pair, if he's fairly tight I just call fearing a set.

Garland
08-21-2004, 12:53 AM
SB and BB dropped out on the turn to UTG's check-raise after I paid off 2 bets. They were not present at the river.

Garland

sfer
08-21-2004, 01:45 AM
With the SB and the BB in the hand after UTG checkraises the turn, I think you have to 3-bet there.

joker122
08-21-2004, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should have folded pre flop but got lucky, Q9 suited or not suited is junk

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Players: Crazy loose and passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, go head and limp.

Danenania
08-21-2004, 02:09 AM
I agree with a turn 3-bet. The way you describe him he could be semi-bluffing a draw and I want the other players out of there. If he caps then leads river I just call. If he calls your 3-bet then leads river I raise. If he calls 3-bet then checks I bet.

Hiding
08-21-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm not disagreeing that folding preflop might be too tight. But I am a little confused as to why (I'm trying to loosen up a little) Is it because there is going to be (in all probabilty) 5 limpers?

Garland
08-23-2004, 03:44 AM
I simply called the river bet. I thought if he had 2 pair which was counterfeited, he'd check the river to me and I'd bet. But the fact that he responded to my flop cap with a turn check-raise screamed of a set that turned into a full house.

As it turns out, he only had QQ. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Garland