PDA

View Full Version : Is PokerTracker any good for SNG players?

LinusKS
08-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I ask because it seems like the product was designed with limit cash players in mind.

Many of the best features are not very useful if you're a tournament player, and many very useful ones - like the formulas in Aleo's spreadsheets - are missing.

Am I missing something that would allow me to get more use out of PT?

tallstack
08-20-2004, 10:41 PM
I have used Poker Tracker for SNGs since May. I first bought it so that I could compare my stats to other posters who had posted theirs. Specifically, I have used it to compare my Vol Put $ in Pot, Saw Flop not in a blind, Att. to Steal Blinds, and Aggression Factor. I feel that this alone was worth the price of the software. For instance, I thought my play was quite aggressive when I started and when I put my stats in my AF was about 1.1. I altered my play be raising more and calling less and got it up to about 2.1 (This is still less than what I want it to be, but I keep working on it). It certainly didn't help to tell me when to be aggressive, just that I wasn't as aggressive as I thought I was. It did, however, cure me of the 'I think I play it just like they do' thinking.

Now that I have about 3300 players in the database it is starting to pay off when I have stats on a player in a current tourney. It is especially good since I don't pick up much in the early rounds when I multi-table.

What I am really looking forward to is the advance notes export that should be coming out soon. I am hoping that it will give me a big boost in knowledge at that time.

All in all, it is more suited to limit play for sure, but it is so cheap compared to the price of just a few tournaments that I think it is a no-brainer.

Dave S

Bluff Daddy
08-20-2004, 10:45 PM
try posting in books/software section if you havent, you should get some more responses there

parappa
08-21-2004, 05:06 AM
I have found over only about 200 sngs that it has paid for itself merely in being able to review lots of tournament games in a faster fashion than the replayer. It only gives me book on a couple of players that I have 5 or more games against, but the info is like gold dust when I have it.

SixgunSam
08-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Have you tried out the free demo yet? Personally, I think it's invaluable. Forgive me if you are already aware of this, but it tracks all of your tournament histories, amount won as well as providing a thorough database of your opponents and your own hand histories. You can play back specific hands and break down your own play under a myriad of conditions. I've fixed leaks in my game by analyzing success of certain starting hands against certain variables by studying the results of my hand history in PokerTracker. The ring game portion of the software, I never use because I almost never play ring games, but the tournament features are great IMO.

tubbyspencer
08-21-2004, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something that would allow me to get more use out of PT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly he ALREADY owns it. Which is also why this post is better in the S&G forum than the software section.

t_perkin
08-21-2004, 12:47 PM
No I don't think you are missing anything.

Prickly Pete
08-22-2004, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
being able to review lots of tournament games in a faster fashion than the replayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you can replay your entire tourneys in Poker Tracker? I've only been able to find replays on 1 hand at a time. But I'm a bit of a PT novice once you get past the summary info.

parappa
08-22-2004, 03:36 AM
No, you have it right. But when I can do is open a tournament, go to the games page, and scroll up through the entire tourney simply looking at my cards. Out of 50 (let's say) tournament games, I probably only play 10 or 15 hands if I win, so I can go through looking for weak-tight folds, loose calls, and then play the 1 or 2 hands requiring further info on the hand replayer. It's just much faster for me than using the IE replayer.

But I do think the odds calculator in the replayer isn't very useful b/c it takes so long, so i use twodimes for that.

Hood
08-22-2004, 05:05 AM
I was thinking about writing pokertracker like software specifically for SNGs, which would give more stats, let you replay a whole tourney etc. It would take quite a while to develop, however, and it would have a much more limited audience than PT.

Phill S
08-22-2004, 07:54 AM
ive been wondering about pokertracker, and it wasnt particularly answered on their site.

does it monitor you connection to the server of (say) Party, and record all hands etc that way, or do you plug your hand history into it after requesting them of the cardroom???

Phill

t_perkin
08-22-2004, 08:45 AM
you import D/L handhistories into it. There is a free trial version available. Give it a go.

Phill S
08-22-2004, 08:48 AM
its jsut that im switchin sites form stars to ladbrokes (ive heard the fish are schooling, and since they dont allow US players, the cash is there for the taking).

however one of the biggest drawbacks is that i can get hand histories off them.

anyway, thanks a lot for the speedy response

Phill

tubbyspencer
08-22-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about writing pokertracker like software specifically for SNGs, which would give more stats, let you replay a whole tourney etc. It would take quite a while to develop, however, and it would have a much more limited audience than PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do Hood. You have a huge built in audience on this forum. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phill S
08-23-2004, 09:22 AM
as its more focussed software a higher price would be more than acceptable, so its quite financially viable, that im sure of.

Phill

hummusx
08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
What would people be looking for? Basically just an emulation of the spreadsheet? Maybe I should start a thread for feature requests...I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Hood
08-23-2004, 12:39 PM
lol.. well there's no point us both doing it. What languages can you write in? feel free to PM me if you're serious.

jester
08-23-2004, 01:51 PM
I've hooked Aleo's spreadsheet into PT via MS Query and although not ready for prime time, it is working fairly well. I have also added an hourly summary (surprisingly i found little correlation btw start time and $$$ in my 270 tournies).

Happy to share. Fairly new to the board so, any advice on the best way?

Phill S
08-24-2004, 05:56 AM
im sure i dont need to tell you all the analysis thats needed (im sure im not the best to do so thats for sure), however linking in hand histories with results (ie a cross between the spreadsheet and pokertracker) would give a huge amount of data and flexibility.

the specifics should be best requested by top flight players. they know what is and isnt useful.

Phill