PDA

View Full Version : The guy on my right

ddlopsau
08-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Was playin 3/6 yesterday and the guy on my right kept leaving the table when the button came around. In 3 hours, the only time he played the blinds was while he was eating his burger. He alwys came back to post after the button passed. I figured he was scared to play from the blinds!?
2 part question:
Is this allowed?
How should I play that either where I was, or if I had position on him?

James Boston
08-20-2004, 06:15 PM
It's obviously allowed. He was doing it. I don't know if they would stop you for doing it over and over. I always take my smoke breaks when the blinds come to me- of course I don't do it every time.

TM1212
08-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Wow this guy i passing up 2 hands everytime around! doesn't seem to smart to me. I think most places will not allow this repeatively without an explantion, but personally haveing some dummy whose only seeing 7 hands around the table each time verus my 9, makes up for haveing to play him out of position.

Dynasty
08-24-2004, 02:51 AM
He's missing three hands per orbit- his big blind, small blind, and button.

BarronVangorToth
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's missing three hands per orbit- his big blind, small blind, and button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. I know a few people at Foxwoods that have this as a strategy.

I personally don't like it for EVERY orbit -- but I know when I need to use the men's room, I try to always take my breaks on the hand when my big blind comes up -- it's easy enough to use the bathroom, take a quick walk, maybe return a call or two, and, boom, you're back and posting your big and your small one behind the button.

I don't believe it's +EV to do it every time ... but I think it is the best move IF you know you need to leave the table for 2-3 hands (bathroom, cigarette, phone calls).

Although, if you go over to Tommy Angelo's website, he has a funny article about how he makes a ton of money smoking in his UTG seats.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

meep_42
08-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't it be better to do your walkabout UTG and UTG+1? You only play the most premium hands from these positions, and in the blinds you already have money on the table.

-d

uw_madtown
08-24-2004, 07:07 PM
When playing live I try to take fewer breaks, and just extend them by sitting out a full orbit when the blinds hit (sit out when I'd be the BB, and then hop back in when the BB comes back around to me). I can usually hit the bathroom, check and return phone calls, smoke break if I want one, get a quick walk outside or grab something quick to snack on. You can't do it too often or people will get upset, with reason.

Since I'm not able to get to a poker room often, I stay a long time now when I do -- usually 24-30 hours. In that time I'll take 2 dinner breaks and 2 or 3 "orbit" breaks, and that's about it.

- UW