PDA

View Full Version : Playing for other people

waj4ever16
08-20-2004, 03:15 PM
This year I have had a lot of success playing 15-30 limit online. I make quite a bit of money in a short period of time and my friends have noticed this. I get a lot of requests for me to play for them if they give me a certain amount of money. I have thought hard about their propositions and cannot figure out a way that will benefit me as well as my friends. Does anybody do this for their friends? Is there a way that we can both prosper?

TStoneMBD
08-21-2004, 04:21 AM
playing for your friends with their money for a percentage yourself is the same as being bankrolled. playing for your friends is only worth doing if you dont want to risk your own bankroll for the caliber of limit youre playing in. if youre used to playing 15/30 then this shouldnt be the case, but if you wanted to move up to a game like 50/100 then it now make sense to talk with your friends.

Michael Davis
08-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Why would you do this if you have a sufficient bankroll and are killing the games yourselves?

Friends have asked me this before. Generally, I think it is a function of not understanding that poker is different from roulette.

-Michael

ike
08-21-2004, 04:35 AM
If you're not sufficiently bankrolled then selling your action is reasonable if, for instance, half the profits from a 50/100 game is better for you than the full profit from 15/30. However, if you have sufficient bankroll to play the game you want to play, then selling a piece of your action is the same as betting against yourself. If you're planning on winning why wouldn't you want 100% of your winnings? Theres really not a good solution here, because the amount of money you make playing poker is not going to change based on what they give you so any money they make comes from your own pocket.

pistol78
08-21-2004, 05:12 AM
i agree why work for half the profit.
have them put up the money, and play 30/60

1. you have nothing to lose its their money
2. you will get experience in the bigger game for free