PDA

View Full Version : Random musings from a (relatively) Newbie

07-10-2002, 02:32 PM
I've been playing Poker since November almost exclusively online. One weekend in Vegas last January where I played 1-4-8 at the Luxor is the only live experience I have.

My other competitive outlets are golf and curling (Canadians will understand), and a few years ago I played chess in a club and tournaments.

So what have I learned in my first 8 months as a poker player;

1) The ratio of good guys to idiots is about the same as every other activity I take part in. Fortunately the good guys far outnumber the idiots. Unfortunately the idiots leave a longer lasting impression.

2) Like Chess, most poker players think they are smarter than everyone else and know all the answers (even myself). Unlike Chess, when you lose in Poker you can always blame the cards.

3) When I have a good night it is almost always because my opponents played poorly, not because I played brilliantly.

4) It has been far easier to learn to maximize my winnings with good hands, than it has been to minimize my losses with 2nd best hands.

5) Spades are the most attractive symbols on playing cards. I have a hard time folding two spades, even if it's the 7 and the 2.

6) It is very easy to play against someone who "Always" does something. Thus I have deduced that it is "Never" correct to "Always" do something.

7) Adapting to the table I am playing at is probably the most important skill to develop.

/images/glasses.gif There are no shortcuts to success at Poker. You have to put in the hours at the table and studying. Each time I have moved up in limits I have suffered a set-back and had to move back down to a lower limit. But I haven't hit my peak yet. Right now 5/10 is my stumbling block. Twice I have been unsuccessful trying to maintan my bankroll at that level. I will make it next time.

9) The posters at this site have been unbelievably helpful to me. I hope to repay them by winning their money someday. Next trip to Vegas I want to sit in with Clarkmeister and Dynasty and see how I do.

07-10-2002, 06:38 PM
When you do come to Vegas, we can play a game of chess. I got my USCF rating up to 1800+ at its high point.

07-10-2002, 09:11 PM
some great points....

ive found that after awhile, i never worry about the denomination of chip....its just a chip, no matter the limit.

i really like 6 & 7. one of my rules is to play the table, not the limit. many forget that.

good luck in your climb to the top

b

07-10-2002, 09:28 PM
It might be a good game then. I was pretty close to that too.

07-11-2002, 04:37 AM
David,

Great post. At what web site do you play?

07-11-2002, 06:25 AM
I thought you were THE David Ross, IM from Quebec!

David Ottosen

CFC 2050

07-11-2002, 09:48 AM
No, not me. I watched him play one year at the Canadian Open with Kevin Spragget and Alex Lesiege (he was just a Junior then), but Ross is my middle name. The highest ranked player I ever beat was 2010.

I am from Quebec, but living in Ontario for almost 20 years now.

07-11-2002, 09:49 AM
I play at paradise.

07-11-2002, 05:40 PM
You just hit on a good number of substantial points. There are MANY, MANY players out there who have been playing for DECADES who haven't realized half of what you just dashed off in your post.

Be patient. You're right at one of the most important limit-increase stages. I've always considered the break from 5/10 to 10/20 to be the defining leap from low to middle (ish).

Stay out of my game. Good luck.

07-12-2002, 01:30 AM
Gotcha

Back in the day I took some serious scalps, IM Yan Yeplitsky (at the Keres Memorial in 1998) and IM Tom O'Donnell (at the Canadian Open in 2000). Both were in Canada's top 10 when I beat them.

07-12-2002, 09:52 AM
That's very impressive.

As I was saying, I could probably beat a top pro in one session of poker, but there is no way I'm beating an IM at chess.

DO they still publish en-passant? I have 2 years of old copies from when I was playing.

07-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I hear so often from people that "they aren't good enough to post hands". You are a perfect example of someone who isn't afraid to post some screw up hands, in an effort to get better. What's the point of posting perfectly played hands anyways?

Keep up the good work bro. See you next time you are in town.

07-13-2002, 07:50 AM
www.chess.ca (http://www.chess.ca)

EP is still published (in fact, I had a couple of articles published back in the day)..