PDA

View Full Version : Opponent that always complete sb...

Virox
08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Paradise $10 No-limit SnG.
Only me and another guy left.
I have 3.000
He has 7.000
Blinds 250/500

He's better than average but a little weak tight and he completes the small blind every time no matter what, never raises preflop. He folds quite easily on the flop if he doesn't hit.

Now, what is my strategy in the big blind, what hands do I check and what hands do I raise/all-in with??

Marcotte
08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Caveat: I'm a relative beginner, so this might not be the greatest advice, but....

Pre-flop I would push with any pair, any A or K, any Q down to about Q7 or Q8 and JT (maybe J9). I would push on almost any flop although I might check with only one overcard and no draw.

Hmm, on second thought that might be too tight. Thats only around 22 or 23% of the hands I think.... maybe you push with any paint or ten high?

For those more knowledgeable.... is it advisable to push with suited connectors? It seems to me that high cards are much better since often you and your opponent will not improve.

flytrap
08-21-2004, 12:13 AM
If he never raises pre-flop, you should definately not be pushing very often. He could have a very good hand, but if he never raises you won't know what he has. If he folds as often as you say after the flop, then the better play is to only push with your very good hands(very good being relative to the fact that it's heads up) like A9 kq, or better, or 77 or bigger pairs. Part of this strategy depends on how he'll play post flop. You said he folds a lot, but will he check-raise a lot too? Will he bet as a semi-bluff? If so, you should be pushing more often, so you don't make as many mistakes on the flop. If he plays very predictably, you shouldn't be pushing much, because you'll steal so often on the flop. People are more inclined to call before the flop, than after when they have nothing. And nothing is what he'll have more often than not.

RPatterson
08-21-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Caveat:
"Pre-flop I would push with any pair, any A or K, any Q down to about Q7 or Q8 and JT (maybe J9). I would push on almost any flop although I might check with only one overcard and no draw."

This is why beginners should not try to give help.

MikeGuz
08-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Are you raising? Or Are you calling and checking too?

With a guy like this being agressive raising every hand might be the only way to handle him if he is giving up his blinds to a raise hammer him. Taking unraised flops is definately a mistake.

Virox
08-21-2004, 10:15 AM
A raise from me would be an all-in move so I can't really hammer him with preflop raises. I saw him call a similar all-in situation earlier with Q8s so I wen't all in with K3o figuring I would be ahead most of the time. But I think that wasn't a good move. Profitable all-in hands would maybe be any Ace or any pair or something?

He either underbets the pot or checkraises with the really strong hands on the flop. He calls a potsized bet if he hit the flop or have a straight/flush draw. If he didn't flop anything he folded to a 70% of pot bet.

Is only raising the really good hands preflop and always bet out on the flop (60-80% of pot) a good strategy?

MikeGuz
08-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Good players heads up are hyper agressive raising every hand putting pressure on their opponent. It is the best way to handle them specially a calling station. If you lose you lose never fear losing in these situations. My best advice is be agressive if you go down make it betting or raising not calling. Agressiveness is really more important than hand quality here.

patrick dicaprio
08-22-2004, 08:06 AM
wil he fold to relatively small bets on the flop? if you need a pot sized bet to steal then you are betting more than a third of your stack to steal on the flop. you also dont say whether he will fold preflop to raises. my guess is that he is trying to hold the lead until he gets a big hand, in which case you will probably go out. i would certainly still push with my best hands and if he will fold to smaller bets i would bet every flop no matter what and if he calls check and fold the turn with nothing until he catches on.

Pat