PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews: Cincinnati Kid and California Split

andyfox
08-20-2004, 12:45 PM
A bunch of 2+2er got together last night to see a double feature: The Cincinnati Kid and California Split.

The Cincinnati Kid has been on TV for years. I've always liked it, in spite of itself. It's pretty dated, both in terms of the card game (5-card stud) and the melodramatic cinematic style. There was a lot of laughter in the theater where comedy was not intended. But it's got Edward G. Robinson, Steve McQueen, Karl Malden, Ann-Margeret, Tuesday Weld, Cab Calloway and Rip Torn, so it ain't all bad. Kind of a campy rip-off of The Hustler, but not as well done. The poker can't be taken seriously (the game starts and after folding the first two hands, Calloway says "I just can't get started."; people are amazed when Robinson bets his Ace and The Kid folds a King), but the final hand has become something of a legend in cinematic poker history.

California Split stars George Segal and Eliott Gould as two gambling derelicts who hang out in Gardena and at Hollywood Park and end up going to Reno to make a big score. It's a Robert Altman film, which means three people are usually talking at once and everybody thinks they're way cool. I remember liking it a lot when it first came out (late '70s?), and I enjoyed it last night, but I think I was in the minority. The film is just trying too hard and Gould's act wears thin after a very short time. The Gardena scenes are worthwhile, though, to get a feel for how it used to be when we dealt lowball by ourselves, that is, without house dealers at the old round tables in the pre-hold-em days in Gardena.

But my two favorite poker scenes still both involve Paul Newman: 1) the hand where he got his nickname in Cool Hand Luke; and 2) the hand where he out-cheats Robert Shaw on the train in The Sting. And Cool Hand Luke and The Sting are both way better movies than either of the two we saw last night.

But the company was great. Enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Hope everybody had a good time. Who went to play poker afterwards?

Zeno
08-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Cab Calloway?!- did he bring his band and sing and jive? That would have added some juice to the movie.

Hey - Reeferman.

Agree about Newman and the stud hand in Cool Hand Luke. That was 7-stud if I remember right.

'Sometimes nothing is the best hand of all'
(or something like that)

Hope all had a good time.

-Zeno

turnipmonster
08-20-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hey - Reeferman.

[/ QUOTE ]

man that's a great one! I wonder if dizzy gillespie was still playing trumpet in his band when that came out.

zeno, you should post a list of recommended books/music. you seem to have really great taste in both.

--turnipmonster

andyfox
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I think it was 5-card stud. And not sometimes nothing is the best hand, otherwise the movie would have been called Best Hand Luke. Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zeno
08-20-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it was 5-card stud. And not sometimes nothing is the best hand, otherwise the movie would have been called Best Hand Luke. Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ˇOlé!

James Boston
08-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Didn't Amarillo Slim serve as a "consultant" for California Split? I seem to recall reading that in his book.

andyfox
08-20-2004, 05:23 PM
He was in the movie too, playing (who else?) himself.

James Boston
08-20-2004, 05:47 PM
I also recall him claiming to have made a ton of money playing poker with the actors while they weren't filming.

andyfox
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. Both Gould and Segal seemed manic and I know for a fact that both faced cocaine addiction problems in later years. Could have been a perfect situation for Slim.

Rick Nebiolo
08-21-2004, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a Robert Altman film, which means three people are usually talking at once and everybody thinks they're way cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going crazy trying to follow who was talking (although Goulds voice is easy to pick out). When you get our age that is a problem in everyday life.

I Googled Tuesday Weld From Cincinatti Kid and I'm fairly sure the movie I liked her best in was "Loooking For Mr. Goodbar". It's hard to imagine she is 61 now.

[ QUOTE ]
Who went to play poker afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pink's was too crowded so mike l. and his brother went to the Commerce for a little 1/2.

~ Rick