PDA

View Full Version : Home game conflict (please help resolve)

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Playing $10-50 spread limit. Table is loose, but passive for the most part, especially preflop. One ante, no blinds as we are playing dealer's choice. This is holdem.

UTG the Econ Prof bets $10. Accountant, Librarian and Counselor call. Psychologist (BigBeitzim) raises to $35 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I'd been taking down pots with semi-bluffs all night, but showing only the nuts and getting good respect, so this LAG play was a sound one. Physician and Stockbrocker (dealer) call, as does Accountant. Librarian folds (when she bets, I fold TPTK because she never bets without a monster) and counselor calls.

Flop is rags with one /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Checked to me, and I bet $25, with the plan of betting $50 on the river to finish out what is now likely a total bluff. Physician (tight, semi-aggressive) folds, Stockbroker calls, Econ Prof (tricky sometimes) calls, Accountant (LAG) and Counselor (Loose-passive) fold.

Turn is another rag, with no /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Econ Prof springs to life and bets $50. I've never seen him do this on a total bluff, so I can be pretty sure he has my A-no kicker beat. Forgetting stockbroker is still in the hand, I fold face up. Physician has also missed this and asks for a bit of rabbit hunting. Broker, also not realizing Econ was still in the hand turns the river, shows his cards then drags the pot (happens fairly quickly).

Econ prof objects strenuously and argues the pot is his because the $50 was never called. Everyone at the table (this is a friendly game usually) suggests either a split pot or to just play out the hand (with or without the $50 bet called by Broker). Ecob will accept nothing of the sort. For his part, Broker says he planned to raise with middle pair, which is not unlikely. Econ prof argues the hand would have played out differently (I had him misread, he was on a total bluff) and Broker gives in, saying it was his error in showing his cards, but this clearly ticked him (and several others) off.

How should this have been resolved once the next card was dealt and Broker showed?

Oh, and I made one eansy-weansy change to what really happened. The game was a 10-cent to 50 cent spread limit, and not 10 dollars to 50 dollars, so this conflict was over about three bucks.

adamstewart
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
lol.... you got me.

Here's three bucks .... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, though, it's a tough situation. Personally, I would like to have the final bet called, and the rest of the hand played out, cards face up.

pukenpete
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Wow. The easy solution would be for you to cough up the 3 bucks since you messed up. But if you're playing seriously, I'd say that as dealer, the broker should've been aware of the action and given that he dealt the river without calling, I'd interpret that as a fold. Had someone else been dealing then according to homepokertourney.com, the deck needs to be reshuffled and the river re-dealt.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/docs/HPTpokerrulebooklet.pdf

Al Mirpuri
08-20-2004, 02:10 PM
A mechanism we used in a home game I used to sit in was to produce an ad hoc solution and then after much more thought over several days produce a permanent, official, solution to these sorts of dilemmas.

One solution could be to either take back the Econ Prof's last bet and then just deal out the cards in the order they would have come (Econ Prof forgoes his bet and the other guy his raise) or let the other guy just call and reshuffle and then deal out the hand.

Stryfe
08-20-2004, 08:22 PM
[Oh, and I made one eansy-weansy change to what really happened. The game was a 10-cent to 50 cent spread limit, and not 10 dollars to 50 dollars, so this conflict was over about three bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit... I already quit my job to become a librarian.