PDA

View Full Version : Letting it go or calling it down. AKo on the turn...

AdamL
08-20-2004, 12:56 AM
You have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif in early position.

Game is loose passive/moderate aggression.

One player limps and you raise. Two more call and the limper calls.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif giving you top pair with top kicker.

First player checks and you bet. Everyone calls.

Turn is the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

First player bets. What should you do?

The example is only meant to bring up the circumstance, which is knowing when to fold a hand that might be the best one. I'm not sure what to do in these situations.

In my game, a raise here would probably have the flushes call me down. If I check the river, any callers behind me will pop a bet, so free-showdown is unlikely if a flush was made behind me.

If the player ahead of me likes his flush (it's a high card flush), he'll probably call my turn bet and lead out on the river. He might re-raise, but the game isn't spectacularly aggressive.

How would this be different if a flush card came on the river? Would that be an automatic call or check on the river?

Similarly, imagine if the flop had two connected cards (straight draw potential) and the straight looked like it was completed on the turn, with the utg leading out same as the above situation. Is it any different a situation?

Thanks.

Adam

RicktheRuler
08-20-2004, 01:01 AM
This answer might be too simplistic for the other posters, but with everyone cold calling your bet, when the third diamond comes out on the river Im prone to think someone has the flush, I might toss a raise out their to narrow down the field and see what the person who led out on the turn does then, if he bets I would fold, if your raise on the turn is reraised fold.

TripleH68
08-20-2004, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif in early position.

Game is loose passive/moderate aggression.

One player limps and you raise. Two more call and the limper calls.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif giving you top pair with top kicker.

First player checks and you bet. Everyone calls.

Turn is the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

First player bets. What should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise this usually. If the first player really had a four flush on the flop(perhaps with an ace), why wouldn't he have c-r the flop to build a pot. If a raise comes after me I think about laying it down. This makes sense, of course, only if the first player has a clue.

AdamL
08-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, you might very well toss out a raise on the turn and have the other two guys call two bets cold in my game /images/graemlins/smile.gif
(And they might not have flushes)

It can be pretty tough to know when a hand has been made.

AdamL
08-20-2004, 01:10 AM
"This makes sense, of course, only if the first player has a clue. "

He doesn't do anything as fancy as check-raise the flop to build a pot in this situation. I don't think you can rely on that kind of a read here.

RicktheRuler
08-20-2004, 01:14 AM
You definitely know more about your opponent than I do, and every situation is player specific, but unless your opponents will play any two cards what could they have--would they bet a J? Could they have two diamonds and one of those low pairs? There are a number of questions that are difficult to answer without knowing your opponents. But I totally understand your dilemma, regardless of what other people say, it CAN be difficult to play against people that have absolutley no clue what they are doing becuase the range of hands you can put them on increases greatly. Just look at the frustration--whether you like him or not--Helmuth shoes playing against amateur players even when you are making the proper play it doesnt matter becuase some players either dont care or dont know any better.

Sorry went into a little bit of a rant there.

RicktheRuler
08-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Once again, if you maintain this logic you are playing a complete guessing game. Even though you feel your opponents are capable of everything you still need to use what they do to inform your decision, what else do you have to go on.