PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 PP Queens, take a look....

tlow
08-19-2004, 11:13 PM
So I put the guy on J 10 early...but after the river raise i knew i was in trouble. Also knew the guy liked to slowplay. Advice? Check postflop, then see what happens after a turn reraise? I feel like I could have saved 1 or 2 bets knowing the guy liked to slow play.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

TStoneMBD
08-20-2004, 01:32 AM
what are you saying? you want to check the river or fold to the river raise? i cant see doing either of these. you have a monster and i cant see playing this hand any other way than the way you did.

SpicyF
08-20-2004, 04:37 AM
tlow-

I think you should re-raise the river even if you think he has slowplayed a straight or set of kings. There is just many times where he has slowplayed 2 pair or maybe caught 2 pair on the river.

If he had the straight, which you imply he did- he played it very badly.

SpaceAce
08-20-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should re-raise the river even if you think he has slowplayed a straight or set of kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think reraising is a bit much. Look at that board. Realistically there is very little chance that the river helped the villain's hand which means he's either completely full of [censored] or he slow-played a giant hand.

SpaceAce

Chris Daddy Cool
08-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Nah, only thing I can see is a flopped straight. But I would discount that anyways because it's just plain stupid to wait till the river to checkraise it until the river on a board that probably hit a preflop raiser's hand.

I would 3-bet the river and call a 4th bet. It's just more likely he has two pair or maybe a turned or rivered lower set. I'd put him on those types of hands before i would a flopped straight.

SpaceAce
08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, only thing I can see is a flopped straight. But I would discount that anyways because it's just plain stupid to wait till the river to checkraise it until the river on a board that probably hit a preflop raiser's hand.

I would 3-bet the river and call a 4th bet. It's just more likely he has two pair or maybe a turned or rivered lower set. I'd put him on those types of hands before i would a flopped straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would be any more stupid to wait for the river to check-raise than it would be to still be in the hand with 77 or 88 after the flop which, as you said, is likely to have hit a pre-flop raiser. Something about the texture of this situation makes me not like my set of Queens so much. I think it's the fact that the villain didn't show much strength until the river. That smells funny to me. If I think my opponent is the kind of person who might still be holding 88 at the river I feel differently about the river play. Is this guy really likely to raise K8 on that river, though?

SpaceAce

rigoletto
08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Reraise and rejoyce when he shows his slowplayed AK!

After being passive all the way I don't see sb having more than two pair the vast majority of the time.

tlow
08-20-2004, 10:48 AM
couple of things i failed to mention...my 2 pair AK got beat from the button by a set of 8's from him in the SB...him hitting the set on the turn and slowplaying. I also noticed he wasn't likely to play a hand like k8. Anyways, it sounds more like a preference for that river raise. Half you guys say fire away, the other half say play like i did. Anyways, in hind sight, i think i would have played it the same.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't neccessarily discount lower sets because I'm constantly showed it every day playing online and even live.

Couple days ago, it's been 3-bet preflop and I have AA. Board is K J 9, turn 8, river 7

I get checkraised on the river.... by 77.