PDA

View Full Version : the hand won me some money but I know I should have played it better.

rybones
08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
ok, I posted this earlier, but I did it from memory and wow, I did not remember it well at all. (I think I was on a high from winning my first sng) Anyway, the hand made me a ton but I am not sure I played it well. I liked part of this but perhaps I should have been more aggressive on the flop, and turn?

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em sng Big Blind is t30O (5 handed)Hero is on the button

mp1 (2,490)
mp2 (2,190)
hero(2,685)A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif
sb (220)
bb (2,415)
noodle130: Post Small Blind (150)

Preflop:

mp1 call 300
mp2 call 300
hero call 300
sb call 70 all-in
bb checks

FLOP: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

bb check
mp1 Check
mp2 Bet 300
Hero Raise 600 (actually hoping for only 1 to call)
bb fold
mp1 Call
mp 2 Call

TURN: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
mp1 Check
Mp2 Check
hero Check

RIVER: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
mp1 bet 300
Mp2 Call
hero Call

SUMMARY
sm show 6,3 off
mp1 shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
mp2 shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
hero collects 4,120, net +2,920

any thought would be appreciated.

Miscreant
08-19-2004, 10:14 PM
I probably would have pushed preflop with this hand, especially with two limpers already in. Also would have gone all in on the flop instead of the min raise, I like to play a lot more aggressively when the blinds are that high.

Jurollo
08-19-2004, 10:41 PM
I either push or fold preflop, not the way you played it, when you got it in you had to think you were beat with the two callers. Either someone spiked 2 pair, or had AQ or AK, got pretty lucky here in my estimation.

stupidsucker
08-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Normally at PP this would be a preflop push, but this isnt party, and I think the situation is different.

You have 4 stacks of near equality, and 2 of them have limped in front of you. Your folding equity is good, and chances are you have the best hand (At least you have the best ace) You may be up against a pair.(obviously we know what they have now, but preflop we dont)

Anyways... I am not so sure that risking all your chips to gain 1120 is a good gamble becauseyou have to beat the all in SB to take it down anyways. (You have to assume that he is comming in, and he will have rights to most of the main pot even if the others all fold.) So you are risking 2500 to maybe have a 60% chance to win the pot IF the other 2 fold. If they call you are in trouble. And you need 3 people to fold just to gain this 60% chance. Because of this all in inevibility I dont think pushing is the right thing to do, but I am willing to bend if enough disagree with me.

I think folding is bad, and raising is bad unless you are going to push. I think the limp here is fine, and I think the play post flop isnt bad either.

I dunno, sometimes I have a hard time visualizing whats really going on. I do know that at party when the blinds reach 150-300 that I am in push/fold mode almost reguardless of what my stack is. After one limper sure. but 2 limpers with the SB about to be all in, I think calling to see a cheap flop is appropiate.

On the other hand... if my stack was about 1.5k I would push this in a heartbeat. Especially at the 10+1 level, most just dont know that folding their 77 here against an all in is the right thing to do. They will call, you will be behind.

Thoughts from a person that plays with 1k chip starts instead of 800? I am very curious about this play. Good post.

Jurollo
08-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Stupid,
The only reason I suggested pushing or folding here is because rybones is, admittedly, a newbie and a hand like AJ can get you in trouble on a flop like he got if you arent 100% sure of what to look for in what your opponents do after the flop. This way you are either a) all in and committed and get to see all 5 cards, or b) out of the hand and letting the other guys bury each other. That is at least the point of view I took in my response.

Lori
08-20-2004, 12:20 AM
I quite like this play, you never got in position where you could end up going out, whilst you got into a nice position in the tourney through winning the hand.

There are some games, as others have stated, where you could push preflop, but limpers so late in a tourney like this often means a strong hand (only you know if there was much limping going on).

I think this was good play.

Lori

stupidsucker
08-20-2004, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I suggested pushing or folding here is because rybones is, admittedly, a newbie and a hand like AJ can get you in trouble.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that fully. A lot of times its best just to push preflop if you dont think you have the ability to play a hand like AJ on any given flop. AJ can be a difficult hand to play.

I like to really look deep into hands on the forum(sometimes way deeper then I should) I cant think for 10 minutes in game, but I can think for days about it here.

To Rybones:

I think what Jurollo is saying is... AJ can be a tough hand to play. People get too attached to the top pair. If someone got aggressive with you on this flop.. Lets pretend that when you raised, you got reraised all in.. In this case many many poeple would call and Its my opinion that its time to think strongly about laying it down if that happens. By pushing you bypass all this heartache.