PDA

View Full Version : Q on short stack play (venting opener w/ hands)

golFUR
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I've said in other places I don't mind playing short stacked. I've come back from 65, from a few hundred countless times. Considering you've got two ways to go off the bat, the times I go the wrong way I sometimes make the best of.

So anyways, here is the hand that gave me a chance to go for a new record. This is a 20+2 six seated NL tourn on UB. It is early in the tournament, I've done nothing till now, and have no reads yet. So far, no major movements or weird showdowns.

SB posts 5
BB posts 10
Fold
BadGuy(970) calls 10
Me(1000)K /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif raises to 75
Folds around to BadGuy who calls.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot 165
BadGuy bets 75

So here I'm thinking one of two things, a J or a Q, flush draw doesn't occur to me, or if it does I lump it in w/ the J, he has to draw for it.

Me raises to 150
BadGuy calls

I'm testing for the Q. He says he doesn't have it.

Turn Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot 465
He checks

No Q, most likely J. No free cards.

Me bets 200
BadGuy calls

River Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Pot 865

BadGuy goes all in for 545

If he has Q or flush what is more likely to get all my chips? Lead out all in on scare card or checkraise me? Didn't want to risk I'd check behind? I guess wrong.

Me calls

BadGuy shows K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I am left with 30 chips and a chance at a new personal best.

That was hand 6, by hand 25 I am back to 470 chips. BadGuy has 1990. By now I have a little better handle on BadGuy, I am not overly worried anymore. On hand 24 he raised preflop and took it down. Hand 25 he leads out same way into my A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Bingo.

I go all in, folds around to BadGuy who thinks for a bit and calls. I was worried I might have overplayed them, I hoped he'd think I was still tilted or trying to steal his raise. Either way, it worked and he called. Flipped up K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Sweet.

Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Crap. Okay though, one more spade, not the 6, I take it down. But no, turn and river are useless, I am out.

Now then. Imagine this pacing, from hand 1 to 6 to 25, from 1000 to 30 to 470. Did I overplay this AA? Would someone 'serious' about placing play slower with this 'maniac'? Is this simple bad luck or is there anything at all I should have considered? I dunno... Maybe I'm still steamin...

At 30 chips and 75 and 200, all ins on best odds situations were a bit easier. I mean, I'm not threat at all unless I'm all in. At 470 on a 6 up am I safe enough to just reraise a more normal amount with this guy? Or even smooth call? Imagine the outcome determines your bank and where you get to play next week /images/graemlins/tongue.gif