PDA

View Full Version : just won my first $10+1 sng. thanks to this site

rybones
08-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks to all who gave me gread advise the past few days since joining 2+2. I just played a $10. sng a paradise and won!!!! special thanks to Lori, ilya, stupidsucker and others, Esp AleoMagus who's strategy for low limit sngs I found as part of a thread on faqs.

Anyway, the had that really gave me the edge was a three way hand I won and nocked out two other players. I am happy I won, but I still don't know if my play was correct. any thoughts (note hand is from memory, I still have not received the hand history in my e-mail).

5 handed. two limpers and then me in the big blind. I raise 3xBB with Ah, Jh. SB and BB fold, other two call. we are all within $300 of eachother in terms of stack size (I had one covered by $200 and the other by $300), but they have been playing really loose.

Flop: A, K rag rainbow. First bets 100, second calls, I raise to pot. First guy re-raises all-in, second calls. I know neither has the A,K as neither raised pre-flop. but I am worried about 2 pair with both playing A and or K little.

do I call? I called and won so good for me. but was this good poker?

ilya
08-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Congrats man! Many more to you.

Re: the hand, it's hard to answer without knowing the blind sizes and the absolute & relative sizes of all the stacks (both the ones in the hand and the other two). For example, if you're under 8xBB, I think you should just push preflop. If, however, you and the two limpers have around 15xbb while the other two are severely short-stacked, you might just call and see a flop. With two limpers, I lean towards calling anyway.
Also, were you actually on the button? (you write you were in the big blind, but then you say the BB folded when you raised)

rybones
08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
sorry,

you are right, I was on the button. I think I was so happy I just can't focus. Blinds were 40 & 80. The three in the hand were in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I was about 1,000 down on the leader. Anyway, sorry for how this is written. I need to look at some other posts and follow the format of how to write these up.

thanks /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ilya
08-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Do you remember how many chips you had? I mean, not relative to the villains.

stupidsucker
08-19-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First guy re-raises all-in, second calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Once into this situation, this is almost always a fold for me. You have only top pair, and not even the best kicker. I would call one of them, but not both of them. I am glad you won the hand. I have folded 2 pair in situations like this (different board). Often you are up against a set.

I am glad some of my posts have helped you. Its my goal to give back to the community what I get from it, and I have a lot more giving to do. I am not always right, but Id like to think I can create some valid points even when I am wrong. Thus we all can learn more about WHY its right or wrong.

Keep reading, keep posting, always be open to constructive criticizmzmzmm ..um ya.

rybones
08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
after reading the history here is the hand as it really played:

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em sng Big Blind is t30O (5 handed)Hero is on the button

mp1 (2,490)
mp2 (2,190)
hero(2,685)A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
sb (220)
bb (2,415)
noodle130: Post Small Blind (150)

Preflop:

mp1 call 300
mp2 call 300
hero call 300
sb call 70 all-in
bb checks

FLOP: K A 2

bb check
mp1 Check
mp2 Bet 300
Hero Raise 600 (actually hoping for only 1 to call)
bb fold
mp1 Call
mp 2 Call

TURN: 7
mp1 Check
Mp2 Check
hero Check

RIVER: 9
mp1 bet 300
Mp2 Call
hero Call

SUMMARY
sm show 6,3 off
mp1 shows K 8
mp2 shows A 4
hero collects 4,120, net +2,920

any thought would be appreciated.

stupidsucker
08-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Well this is completly different then calling all in after 2 people went all in with near equal stacks.

I cant say I would have played this the exact same way, but the blind structures are different then what I am used to. All in all I dont think it was bad at all. limping with AJs is good after 2 other limpers IMO. You flopped top pair with a decent kicker, you threw in a min re-raise for value , and to gain the lead. You dont want to be too aggressive because with 2 other significant stacks in the pot you can go bust.

I dont think getting too fancy or too aggressive is a good idea, so all in all I think this played out fine.

ilya
08-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Looks good to me. I would have raised more if the flop weren't a rainbow, but as it is I think the minraise is fine. With that board, if neither of them is ahead of you already it's not likely that they'll overtake you by the river.