PDA

View Full Version : Is multiway a question of perspective?

Demana
08-19-2004, 05:27 PM
The concept of heads up play is a no brainer. It is between you and one other person.
But multiway play has been a point of confusion for me for some time now.

From a beginner's perspective, it seemed too daunting to only face or or two opponents, so I suppose I just assumed that mutliway meant that there had to be a lot of people in the pot so that I felt safe. Somewhere in the neighborhood of five or six players (basically half of the table).

None of the books explicitly called out numbers, nor did they really focus on heads-up versus multi-way in such a way as to give you the true feel for the number of players needed. Even playing in B&M, three players did not seem like enough.

Well, none of the books until now. I just read the first half of Hold'Em for Advanced Players and the authors mention mutliway as a three (or more) person hand.

The first three thoughts I had:

1. Is that really it?
2. Just three people in a hand?
3. Can it really be that basic?

YES IT IS!!!!!

Suddenly, what I've read in Hold'em Poker and Super Systems makes a lot more sense.
Strategies and percentages, aggression and attitude, isolating players and reading hands.

The world is a new place and I am ready to challenge it.

I guess this wasn't a quesiton nearly as much as a epiphany, but I hope that it might help others out there who struggled with the concept like I did.

~Demitri

btw - Yeah, I'm sure that *safe* comment elicited a few laughs from the experienced players, but when you're starting out, there was safety in numbers (maybe it just felt good that everyone was as bad as me /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

TM1212
08-24-2004, 02:24 AM
A pot is ethier heads up or multiway, multi refering to the fact that there is more action then between just 2 players.
What did you think a pot with 3 people was?
Did you think the poker community was holding out on you that 3 way was considered something besides multiway? /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also as a recomendation you should pick up The theory of poker itll really help much more then super system any other book out there, as it explains alot of things newbies seem to miss. You got to crawl before you can walk right?

Demana
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Yup, which is why I bought it and it is next on the list to be read.