PDA

View Full Version : 99 in the CO

zram21
08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Overall this has been a good table. Loose passive for the most part across the board. MP1 seems to be decent though.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is the CO with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

<font color="blue">Anyone raise the flop here? I thought about it for awhile, but then figured the BB and the original callers are all likely to stay anyway so the better play is to see the flop cheaply and maybe get the SB to come along to help pump the pot if I hit my set.</font>

Flop: (5.5 sb) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP3 calls, Hero calls (?), BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="blue">Even as I am posting this I am thinking that not raising the flop was a mistake. A raise doesn't give the BB and UTG the proper odds to draw and might clean up any lone spades or 3 card straight hands. I am pretty certain I played this street poorly.</font>

Turn: (5.25 BB) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP3 folds, Hero raises (?), BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Comments on the overall hand are appreciated. I am pretty certain I misplayed the flop. What about preflop and the turn?

Trix
08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Raise preflop. Probably best hand, get position.

Raise flop. You cant be sure that it will be bet again on turn and the guys behind you are more likely to coldcall something you want them to coldcall on the flop than turn.

Piiop
08-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I'd raise preflop and raise the flop.

Most people will give more action on the flop than on the turn. On the turn when you raise the scare card, it's unlikely you'll get any more action unless the person has the flush.

J.R.
08-19-2004, 04:51 PM
but then figured the BB and the original callers are all likely to stay anyway so the better play is to see the flop cheaply and maybe get the SB to come along to help pump the pot if I hit my set.

Raise preflop.
1) you have equity here against loose players, raise and don't be concerned that they are likely to call.
2) whether the sb comes alnog if you limp is unlikely to effect the value you extract when you flop a set, more important considerations might include getting the sb to pay more with a likely inferior hand, pumping your ev edge, buying the button and perhaps having the option of taking a free card on the flop.

Even as I am posting this I am thinking that not raising the flop was a mistake.

Me too. The pot has 7.5 sb bets when it gets to you, so its a medium sized pot. You have top set, which is a monster. Jam your hand for value and hope a flush/straight draw 3-bets.

A raise doesn't give the BB and UTG the proper odds to draw and might clean up any lone spades or 3 card straight hands.

You have top set, not top pair. Jam for value. Yes, your hand can be beaten, but its far more robust than the draws you could be up against. Jam for value, especially as you are more likely to get thin calls on the flop than the turn. Your primary goal with top set in a pot that was not raised preflop is to build yourself a big pot.

Having not raised the flop, raise the turn as your hand is more vulnerable if still best and you have a nice redraw if you were bested by the turn card.

As an aside, get yourself or look at your copy of sshe, there's a bit in there about relative strength of various hand son the flop and whether and when you should focus your efforts on pot building or pot winning/protecting your hand.