PDA

View Full Version : Early $2 Stars NL hand

MrG
08-19-2004, 02:47 PM
My buddy said if I post this hand I will be ridiculed for being so weak. So let me have it.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

MP2 (t1330)
MP3 (t1200)
CO (t1300)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1570)
BB (t1570)
UTG (t1690)
Hero (t1770)
MP1 (t1480)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t135) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1510</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1795
<font color="green">Main Pot: t435 (t435), won by BB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t1360 (t1360), returned to BB.</font>

The4thFilm
08-19-2004, 02:55 PM
fold preflop

betgo
08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
I would call the overbet. It is dangerous in general to call this type of raise, but it is not easy to see how you could be beaten. If your opponent had aces, kings, or queens he probably would have reraised preflop. The only other hands you are worried about are sets of 7s or 3s or 2 pair. He would have to have a pretty bad starting hand to have 2 pair, but since he called a miniraise in the BB, it is possible.

If he has a big hand, you have to wonder why he doesn't play it slower, but he could be a bad player or he may think you did hit something and will call. If he somehow had 2 pairs 7s and 3s, he might think you have a queen or a pocket pair and does not want to be drawn out on.

The most likely thing is that he has either a heart draw or a queen. With a queen, he might think he is ahead and wants to win the pot now, figuring you have at least one overcard.

He could have a pp, a 7 or 3, or be on a bluff, and he might figure you missed the flop but would bet anyway as the preflop raiser.

I would definately not fold preflop, particularly in a $2 tournament. A larger raise is more standard, particularly for this kind of hand, but since you are UTG a miniraise is OK. You could also limp, and decide whether to fold, call, or reraise if you are raised, depending on the situation.

donny5k
08-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Do you always fold AQo in early position? This just seemed like a ridiculous comment to me. Maybe with the blinds so small it isn't that powerful a hand.

SossMan
08-19-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

?huh?

On to the hand...

I think the overbet is nearly always a draw or a weak queen who doesnt want to give you a cheap shot to hit your 'obvious' AK. I think, absent a read to the contrary, you have to call here. I just can't see QQ, 33 or 77 overbetting like that. I would call and expect to be ahead a very high percentage of the time.

Tosh
08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
People agree that the preflop raise should be higher - 90-120?

adanthar
08-19-2004, 04:46 PM
I'd raise a lot more than the minimum preflop (at least to 3-4xBB) and beat him into the pot on the flop.

MrG
08-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Stronger preflop, beat him into the pot on the flop.
I knew playing preflop so passive made the flop harder. TPTK for me just seems okay but HU here I agree callling his overbet is the action.
If I played stronger preflop and bet more on the flop the hand would have played vastly easier. Thanks again.

SossMan
08-19-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, didn't notice that...though BB was t20. Yes, should be bigger than min. 2.25x? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ps
go back to the beer avatar...this one sucks

Tosh
08-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Nah this one rules, THE greatest football (soccer) team of all time. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Btw, I thought it was beer as well, but apprantly its coffee.

cferejohn
08-19-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, didn't notice that...though BB was t20. Yes, should be bigger than min. 2.25x? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With blinds this low and AQo in EP, I'd make it 3-4x the BB. I don't want to play a multi-way pot particularly and I want to at least try to cut down on the implied odds.

In a $2 tournament, I'm calling with TP/TK here every time against an unknown.

Tharpab
08-29-2004, 08:19 PM
This bet in my experience usually means 'I have a hand and want to double up quickly as I dont give a damn about three dollars' at least on low buyin tournaments, sometimes they go all in preflop in early postion in multiway with a set, two pair,hoping to be called etc. Did anyone noticed this?