PDA

View Full Version : The real Gold Medal Contenders

Zeno
08-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Women's softball. These gals can play and are a stellar team.

Team USA Softball (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/softball/news/story?id=1862705)

-Zeno

nicky g
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Why is the Olympics full of games that virtually noone outside the US plays? Not that I care about anything to do with the Olympics beyond avoiding it as best as possible.

Zeno
08-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I think that many sports that the US dominates in are more popular and well known and are covered more in the media. The US is very poor or mediocre in many events that are held at the Olympics - for example judo, fencing, weight lifting, soccer (football), sailing, badminton and many other activities.

The achievement of the softball team, so far, is very remarkable. This is a challenging sport and these gals are very talented and athletic. Fast-pitch softball is not for wimps. This is a damn tough sport to play.

-Zeno

Taxman
08-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Not to mention that pitcher of theirs is hot. Maybe we should start a thread of pictures of her /images/graemlins/grin.gif

poorbus96
08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Some other pictures that would be good are the beach volleyball girls. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Some of the shots on tv made my face turn red /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M2d
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
As I posted in another thread (about hot olympic chicks), Lovie Jung is the nuts.

pudley4
08-19-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is the Olympics full of games that virtually noone outside the US plays? Not that I care about anything to do with the Olympics beyond avoiding it as best as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order for a sport to be included in the Olympics, there is a certain minimum number of countries who must compete in the event and it must be played on a certain minimum number of continents.

vulturesrow
08-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=929952&page=3&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#929952)

Martin Aigner
08-19-2004, 03:46 PM
WTF is softball??

The dresses look like baseball dresses, right?

Sorry, this question might sound dumb for Americans, but I really donīt know.

Ah, and looking silly anyway I can safely ask two more questions.

1) What is a TiVO? Read of it lots of times here, but canīt find it in any dictionary. Guess itīs sort of a VCR???

2) Whatīs a soccer mom??? Well, I obviously know what is both a soccer and a mom, but how do they fit together?

Thanks in advance

an embarrassed

Martin Aigner

nicky g
08-19-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In order for a sport to be included in the Olympics, there is a certain minimum number of countries who must compete in the event and it must be played on a certain minimum number of continents.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence but just because a game is officially played somewhere doesn;t mean anyine really cares about it. I can assure you close to noone outside the US even knows what the difference between softball and baseball even is. Cricket for example, which I have just as little time for, is a vastly more popular sport in terms of people who actually care.

ThaSaltCracka
08-19-2004, 06:51 PM
dude Ping Pong is a freaking sport at the Olymics.

[ QUOTE ]
No offence but just because a game is officially played somewhere doesn;t mean anyine really cares about it.

[/ QUOTE ] This could very easily be said about atleast half of the events in the Olympics.

[ QUOTE ]
I can assure you close to noone outside the US even knows what the difference between softball and baseball even is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Countries with a softball team at the Olympics
-US
-China
-Japan
-Taiwan
-Australia
-Italy
-Greece
-Canada

M2d
08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Softball is a baseball-like game. In the olympics, it's a woman's sport.

Tivo is the brand name of a digital video recorder. using these, you can copy televised shows to a hard drive, then watch them later, skipping commercials. I'm a recent convert to the church of Tivo, and wholeheartedly endorse its use.

Soccer moms are a USA creation. These are the moms who have children in the just-pre-teen ages who dutifully pick up the kids at school and shuttle them to soccer practice, piano lessons, ballet class, little league games or any of the many after school activities that kids have nowadays. They live for/through their kids and are often paired/married to the "little league dad"

ThaSaltCracka
08-19-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is softball??

[/ QUOTE ] Softball is very similar to baseball in the ways its played, although there are two different types of softball, slow pitch and fast pitch. Slow pitch is generaly a rec league played by men and coed teams. Coincedently its very popular in the US, and can get to be incredibly competitve. Fast pitch is played by girls in little league, high school, college, and olympics. The pitching is obviously different in fastpitch, but the rest of the game is exactly the same. You have 10 playes on the field as opposed to 9 in baseball. The extra player is in the outfield. Also the bases in softball are only 60 ft as opposed to 90 in baseball. The OF fences are also shorter, by about 50-75 feet. There are some other rules that are a little different but they are unimportant to someonw who isn't playing.

Don't knock softball, its actually incredible fun to play, plus beer drinking usually follows the game.

rusty JEDI
08-19-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention that pitcher of theirs is hot. Maybe we should start a thread of pictures of her /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jenny Finch has to be the most overrated (looks not ability) athlete EVER.

rJ

ThaSaltCracka
08-19-2004, 07:57 PM
HUH?
http://www.jenniefinch.net/images/pics4/finch2.jpg

jdl22
08-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Well done proving his point.

jdl22
08-19-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I posted in another thread (about hot olympic chicks), Lovie Jung is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a thing for hapa girls so I'm biased but I certainly agree. Here are a few pics I found. Unfortunately I couldn't find too many that were clear. If you have others feel free to post them.

http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/USCup/2003USCup/Bios/headshots/jung.jpg
http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/96/129/02_1_1_t.jpg
http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/Olympics/2004OlympicGames/OlympicPhotoGallery/gallery9/ATHENS-Flag%20raising%20and%20media%20013.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
http://www.askmen.com/imagesmodel/2003_aug/jennie_finch/jennie_finch_150b.JPG
http://www.internationalsport.com/nsd/images/sef/finch.jpg
yeah your right, she is pretty ugly.

jdl22
08-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Firstly, it's you're not your. You're is short for you are which is what you were trying to say.

Secondly, she didn't look good at all in the pic you posted above. These pics on the other hand make her look pretty hot. He posted that she was overrated and you posted a picture where she was mediocre, hence my response. Had you posted these two, in particular the second one, I obviously wouldn't have responded as I did.

As for whether she is attractive or not, obviously that depends on which look is the predominant one.

Usul
08-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Those are pretty good pictures of her, but she's like 6'3" and has no curves.

Taxman
08-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Nah, she's just 6 feet and for those of us who are 6'4", that's not too bad a thing.

Usul
08-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Yeah, but that's like the 99th percentile of guys. Besides, she still has no ass.

ThaSaltCracka
08-20-2004, 01:41 AM
you are such a tool

jdl22
08-20-2004, 01:57 AM
Clever, nicely done.

jagoff
08-20-2004, 02:00 AM
I would still have sex with her over and over again til it sounded like my penis was an asthmatic!

Martin Aigner
08-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Cool, thanks a lot. No wonder I couldnīt find these words in any dictionary.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Duke
08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
I can't tell the difference between like 5'6" and 6', and I'm only 4'30" or so.

Oddly, I don't like tall women since they tend to have heads that resemble the heads of horses. I prefer not to copulate with beasts. I'm sure there is some chick out there that would prove to be a counterexample to my stereotype, but I'm not holding my breath.

~D

M2d
08-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Gabriele Reece?

rusty JEDI
08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Thank you for defending my opinion while i seemed to skip over this thread in haste yesterday.

Of course she is hot, but when i said overrated i meant exactly that...overrated.

She gets mentioned top 5 hottest female athlete everytime i hear a sports talk poll. I just think it would be easy to find more.

rJ

ThaSaltCracka
08-20-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She gets mentioned top 5 hottest female athlete everytime i hear a sports talk poll. I just think it would be easy to find more.

[/ QUOTE ] Go for it then. Name 5 current female athletes hotter. I am not sayin she is in the top 5 because I haven't really thought about this, but go ahead and name 5 more.