PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Hand

parappa
08-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Is this fold too tight? I've just clawed my way back from oblivion, my idea is that my folding equity is low because of repeated steals over the last couple of rounds, and I'm UTG. This is really a more general question. Assuming the same situation with AJs, KQo, or 77, are they all pushes UTG? This is a routine situation for me that I'm not sure I'm playing well.

Please ignore the fact that the SB pushes.

Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

Button (t3740)
SB (t1780)
BB (t1365)
Hero (t1115)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t1480 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t2080

Hood
08-19-2004, 08:17 AM
If you think there is an increased chance of getting called, I'll definately push with AJs and 77. This is because I think there's a good chance I'll get called here with hands like A2-A6, which is great news, so I don't fear a raise. KQ-KT, however, I find much less appealing. I really don't want to get called here. UTG I fold.

I play 10+1 party, where fold equity really is low whatever the situation. On higher limits this may not be the case.

I'd be interested to see other responses to this.

parappa
08-19-2004, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think there is an increased chance of getting called, I'll definately push with AJs and 77. This is because I think there's a good chance I'll get called here with hands like A2-A6, which is great news, so I don't fear a raise. KQ-KT, however, I find much less appealing. I really don't want to get called here. UTG I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I generally agree with you. I find this whole dynamic to be really interesting at the 10+1 level. If you had a certain hand, say AJs, and you pushed with it 100 times in a row, I think you'd find that the hands that would keep calling would get worse rather than better, making the play with AJs better and better but, as you say, probably making pushes with something like KQo much worse.

Of course, I have no idea how that works at higher levels. I just have this idea that at 10+1, if you push 4 times in a row, they'll start calling you down with 72o.

MikeGuz
08-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Clearly it is a raise or fold proposition. You have been playing with these guys for a while now. They THINK of you as a what kind of player - your image to them is really important here. You just want to pick up the blinds here being UTG would enhance your chances as some are more inclined to call buttons in these situations.

So raise or fold. You probably are holding the best hand anyway if you decide to raise, I'd look at this as a marginal situation so eigther play is correct if table conditions are good for you.