PDA

View Full Version : Betting Draws in shorthand

MatrixMunki
08-19-2004, 04:49 AM
Hey, I myself will play an open ended straight draw or 4 flush aggro shorthanded, I think about it and I cannot figure out why this is good, if you have a draw and they have higher card they are still even the favorite lol, someone might use the logic "if I'm going to call a bet, I might as well be the one betting" well this might work if you are playing weak players, but good ones will raise you when you "would have called neway" so basically this betting your draw is a bluff, a bluff that has no synergy with your draw and could have been made at any other time.

<-- not very articulatly staed but i can just respond later

schubes
08-19-2004, 08:17 AM
If you have a flush draw on the flop, and your opponent only has higher cards than you, you are the slight favorite. Remember you have outs to make a pair also. This is why it's ok to raise a maniac HU on the flop with a flush draw, especially if it's possible you have the best high cards.

But what I think you're talking about is betting or raising an 8 or 9 out draw when you know you will be reraised by a pair or better. This is rarely correct, and I make quite a bit off of people who overplay draws in SH. If there is no chance you will win the pot with a bluff or will get a free card (and there won't be enough callers for you to raise for value), don't raise your flush draw!

MatrixMunki
08-20-2004, 05:23 AM
versus high cards you are almost exactly 50/50, 14 outs with openended and i think thats undedr 50%, and then 15 outs with a flush draw and thats a little above 50%,

MikeGuz
08-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Couple of ways to play here - You can bet the flop, turn and river no matter what or you can ck call. You have to know your players here. I like the Bet it out theory against a guy who is going to muck the river most of the time. Against agressive players I may just play weak.
One way NOT to play is bet the flop and ck the turn if you miss. You can always ck raise the flop then bet the turn depending on your holding Say you have JTs you flop 984 - 2 of your suit - a lot different than 67s with a 58T rainbow.

BugsBunny
08-20-2004, 06:55 PM
14 outs is still over 50% (51.2). 13 outs is under 50(48.1) and 15 outs = 54.1% (all these on the flop of course)