PDA

View Full Version : big leak

housenuts
08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
i've found a big leak of mine. i always lose alot of money in the first 2 or so orbits in a ring game. my theory is that when i start a new game i get too anxious to win a pot and end up losing more than i should be. then once i've lost a fair bit I settle down and start playing tighter. and usually end up with a winning session. the problem is my profit would be much higher had i not put myself in the hole to begin with.

anyone else have this problem?

sthief09
08-19-2004, 02:00 AM
I do this when I play .5/1 with my friends. I play every hand I see and I usually go down fast.

having discipline is just as important as having talent. if you don't have the discipline to play optimally when you first sit down, then you're nothing better than a mediocre player.

housenuts
08-19-2004, 02:05 AM
agreed. it's just like being a good golfer. you need the skills and the consistency. any decent golfer can go out and shoot a great round once in a while, but it's consistency that makes them a great golfer. in poker if you are consistent you will lose money like i do. i think that problem is now fixed cause i'm very much aware of it and won't let it happen.

sthief09
08-19-2004, 02:08 AM
this is my biggest problem, as well. I can play well up to a point, but then my concentration breaks and I make start making bad mistakes. feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this. it's a topic I've thought a lot about, especially recently.