PDA

View Full Version : Tricky river decision with AJ

Lmn55d
08-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I wasn't really sure what to do on the river. Should I have just called? Put him all in? My raise seems kind of dumb to me because if he went all in I'd have to call anyway, but I dunno. Any comments on other streets are welcome (I guess I could have bet the turn and checked river), but I'm most concerned with the river play. Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

UTG+2 (t1495)
MP1 (t1435)
Hero (t2215)
MP3 (t1245)
CO (t780)
Button (t1070)
SB (t2715)
BB (t755)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t2295)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t50,

Flop: (t150) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t85</font>, BB calls t85.

Turn: (t320) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t320) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t125</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB calls t175.

Final Pot: t920
<font color="green">Main Pot: t920 (t920), between Hero and BB.</font>

luv2chkraze
08-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Looks like he called on the flop with AK or AQ, hit his ace on the river, and now has you beat. Or he could be milking a set, or a full house with A5. It's a tough spot you're in. I understand firing on the flop looking to take it down after a raggedy flop, but after he calls, ya gotta think he's got AQ or a small pair at MINIMUM. Not a big fan of the raise on the river. His bet looks suspiciously like he wants you to call. You may be ahead, but there are a lot of hands that have you horribly beaten, so a raise really accomplishes nothing except getting a better hand to either call or re-raise you. If you think this guy would stick around with a hand like AT, well MAYBE a raise here is OK, but you have to know your player extremely well to be able to make that decision.

Bottom line: I'd call, but I wouldn't like it.

Just my 2 cents, so take it with a grain of salt...There are a lot of posters on here who are a lot more schooled than I am.

Synth
08-19-2004, 04:19 AM
I don't see the BB having you beat by the river. I would think that if the BB is holding a stronger A such as AK or any strong PP such as J's or Q's he would re-raise you pre-flop.

That being said I believe a heftiar (excuse the spelling) bet (pot size) on the flop would most likely give you a good idea on where you both stand.

- Synth

TheThinMan
08-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Its Heads up, you should bet the turn, 2/3 of pot.
If raised you can fold. On the river I don't like your raise, you don't know where you are and you are somewhat committing yourself.
Since BB just called, he should have a smaller ace.
R