PDA

View Full Version : What to do with absolutely no hand?

Nate Finch
08-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Ok, I just got done taking 2nd in a one table tournament. Not bad, right? Well, sorta. I was rocking the table, easily double the other guy when we went heads up.... and then my cards went dry. We're talking Sahara Desert dry. 10 hands, no face cards, no pairs, all offsuit. 10 more hands, and only two face cards - K2o, Q2o... both of which I lose some money on. Finally get a reasonable hand - K7s. At this point I've been blinded way under and go all in. Lose to Q9 when he hits a queen.

How do you play heads up when 97o is your best hand for 20 hands? I tried bluffing every once in a while to at least fake like I had something, but I'd just get called, called... and when your high card is a 7, you don't even beat a bluff.

Hope this doesn't come off as too much of a bad beat story, but really, how do you play with no cards?

-Nate

naphand
08-19-2004, 01:54 PM
In games where your opponent wont fold, there is very little to nothing you can do. Your K7s play was fine.

dr_venkman
08-19-2004, 02:36 PM
This happens to me alot as I have been playing single table SNG's exclusively for a couple of weeks now. My win rate has been pretty good but the variance is hard to contend with if you're not always on your best game.

When I get heads up and I'm even with the other player stackwise I play it cool. Fold the BB if it's raised to me and I know I have nothing. Better to let it go then risk hitting a mediocre flop and not being able to confidently call/raise it. I've been accused of being weak in this regard, and open to bullying. Not true. When I have a decent hand I protect it. But it just goes sometimes that there is nothing to protect.

You have remember 'patience and survival'. Playing well is the number one focus, but getting good cards is number two. If you don't get the cards, don't panic and change gameplay. Just wait for something to play. In one instance I'm 3rd in a ST SNG with t260 left in my stack, blinds are 100/200, BB hits me. I get J6o, and button raises to me. I fold it. Now I'm all in the SB, and get TT in the hole. Double up.

Next hand dealt to me is Q3o, with the BB putting me all in next hand, so it's either take it now or wait one more hand. I fold it.

Next hand, AKs. Double up again.

I did wind up finishing 3rd in that tourney, but I put up a great fight and didn't give anything away.

Personally, I'd rather be blinded to death than play rags. When it comes to playing poker, I think it's better to fade away than burn out. That way you can always walk away knowing that it was the cards that doomed you in, not by making poor choices.

~Venk

naphand
08-19-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's better to fade away than burn out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neil Young quotes? You're showing your age...... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif