PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Raises

JFB37
08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
There is lots of discussion here about aggressive play on the bubble. Many advocate (and I have come to agree) that bubble time is a good time to raise pre-flop, on the theory that your opponents will have tightened up their calling requirments in order not to bust out.

There are, obviously, two types of raises: all-in and something less. People have different philosphies about when the all-in makes sense, but I am interested in the second category: the moderate raise (3-4xbb) against no previous limps where you are (a) hoping to steal but (b) willing to get called and see the flop but (c) will fold to a substantial re-raise. What types of hands, if any, do people think it is appropriate to play this way?

To keep things simple let's assume that all remaining players have approximately the same size stack. I'm not talking about the situation where you have everyone covered and can just pound on people.

To stimulate discussion, let me throw out some possible hands for comment:

AJs
A9o
A2s
KTo
Q9s
JTs
78s

These are all hands that I have seen played this way. I have also seen all of them folded and some of them pushed. What do people think?

A final thought: does anyone advocate that the answer to my question is "any 2", on the theory that the point of the raise is to steal and that you are probably not going to continue unless (a) you hit the flop or (b) the flop is such that your opponent probably missed and acts in a way that suggests he/she will not continue.

RPatterson
08-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Need to know how big our stack is in relation to the blinds, how many players are yet to act behind us, and how big their stacks are.

parappa
08-19-2004, 03:45 AM
I'm very interested in responses to this, as my bubble play is weak. For the minute I'm going to assume everyone's between 10-12/BB on the bubble, so that it's a tense, competitive game.

Of course, the problem with this assumption is that 10xbb or so puts you in all-in or fold mode, and the answers are probably different if you have to push to steal the blinds or if you can 3xbb to steal the blinds.

So I'll try to answer it both ways:

From your list I'll push to steal the blinds with:
AJs from any position, A9o from the button, KTo from late, 77 and 33 from late. A2s and JTs I'd play from the small blind. I wouldn't push with Q9 or 87s from any position.

Assuming a bigger stack, say 15xbb, I'd try to steal-raise with AJs from UTG in a 4-handed game, the CO in a 5-handed. A9o, 77, and 33 from the button, and I wouldn't play the others.

Of course, maybe that's why I'm limping into the money too much and taking too many 3rds and not enough 1sts /images/graemlins/frown.gif

PuffsNutz
08-19-2004, 04:22 AM
If you have 10xBB, you should only raise 3Xbb..and
be prepared to fold all of them, unless you think
someone is taking advantage of your play...

The best time to use the test raise, is say the BigB
has 4xBB and SB has 10xBB, and you have 10xBB.

Your goal is to mix it up with the Big blind and
avoid a confrontation with Small blind...so
you'd fold every hand you listed here if reraised...in fact
one could argue raising 2Xbb is the better
play in this exact situation...With your best
hands as well.

Basically be willing to fold more with another shortstack
at the table....call more if all things are equal or
opponent keeps making moves on you.

parappa
08-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Is this a sort of exception to the "10xbb" rule for you? Like with 10xbb you'll take 2or3xbb chance on a steal so that you don't have to get committed (and can thereby steal with less and fold with a clear conscience?)

Hmm. I know there's a smiley with a lightbulb going off over the head down here somewhere. Thaniks!