PDA

View Full Version : Just call here? Set of 7's

pokerstudAA
08-18-2004, 08:03 PM
This was the 5th hand of a 30 person PP Tourney.....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

MP1 (t985)
Hero (t1000)
MP3 (t810)
CO (t990)
Button (t1480)
SB (t970)
BB (t985)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t795)
UTG+2 (t985)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls t15, MP3 folds, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t105) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, CO calls t50, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t205) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t205) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t400</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, CO calls t400.

Final Pot: t1805

Both the CO and I had not played a hand at this point. So the only read I have on him is tight.

1. What about the check on the turn. I thought that might get the cut off to bet an A with a worse kicker hand. Or anything worse J10 type hand.

2. How about the reraise on the river. Should I have just called here?

3. Anyone consider laying this down at any point? What hands do you put the CO on here?

AncientPC
08-19-2004, 02:47 AM
I think you should either check the flop to slowplay the hand, or bet the flop more aggressively to get a better read on your opponents' hands.

[ QUOTE ]
1. What about the check on the turn. I thought that might get the cut off to bet an A with a worse kicker hand. Or anything worse J10 type hand.

2. How about the reraise on the river. Should I have just called here?

3. Anyone consider laying this down at any point? What hands do you put the CO on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I would've bet bigger (maybe t200 range). He could be chasing the flush or straight draw and I don't want him to get a free card.

2. I would've just called it, he could've made his straight. If you had to raise 800 you might as well go all in since you only would have about 90 chips left.

3. I would not put this hand down. Low pocket pairs that catch trips on a flop are big +BB/100 for me because everyone gets blindsided by them (including myself).

Because you didn't bet the flop stronger, you can't tell if he's a loose player who just completed a gutshot straight draw on the river, or if he has 2 pair or TPTK.

I know I'm just repeating myself, but I would've bet stronger to chase out the draw and considering the preflop and post flop play, it's highly unlikely that he trip A's or J's.

If he's a tight player I would put him with TPTK or two pair, which you would've won against anyway. I don't see too many people playing 53, suited or not.

aLOWdAkING
08-19-2004, 03:24 AM
i put the CO on A2 suited (hearts?). if he's a tight player he will want to see a cheap flop hoping to catch a draw to the nut flush and win a lot of chips. Sees the flop and figures he has a pair, decides to see how things go, hoping to get another Ace or 2 or the backdoor flush. Turn was no help, decided to see a free river. Gets his 2 pair, no flush possibility so he comes over the top, you re raise him big, he decides to just call because its early in the tourney and you bust him with your set of 7s!

MikeGuz
08-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Considering how you played this hand CO could have picked up anything and felt he had the best hand. Any A and J that paired up I'd say he had an A that paired up or maybe maybe J7s a wierd str8 is doubtful but it IS INTERNET lots of weasels there who don't mind losing $30 - I like the way you played this hand. If he has a set of Js or As well that's poker but if you were to lay this set down at any stage here you ought to take up checkers.

Because small to mid pairs are so hard to play after the flop at a full table I tend to call with them up front and dump them If I miss the set or the flop looks bad for me.

Hope you won the hand!