PDA

View Full Version : % won at showdown

Cerril
08-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I've been looking over my growing stat base and trying to figure out how to analyze the numbers. Obviously it's not too much work to figure out when my VP$IP is too high (it is), and looking over the numbers for each hand (QJs should not be a huge loser, nor should AQo, I need to fix my play or at least watch it). Some of the numbers, though, I have less certainty about how to assess them

Take % won at showdown. How often I see a showdown is a bit of an oddity, since there are so many ways for five cards to come out (order matters!) that I would imagine there is no ideal percentage (please correct me if I'm wrong!). However, once you get there I'd imagine there's an ideal number for it to get to, assuming you get there in the right manner.

Obviously, a perfect player would have 100%, but once you lose perfection the number drops quicker than the quality of your play. What I mean is that since we aren't psychic we're often trapped into paying people off with second best, when there's a good chance you have the best hand.

So is it strictly 'high is better' or should I be looking at a number like, say, 80% (I don't actually know what mine is but I suspect it's too low, since my skill isn't up to snuff yet) and figuring it represents half the time being sure and half the time being 60/40? I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air here.

Any ideas on how to interpret that number, or is it not all that useful?

Hiding
08-18-2004, 07:56 PM
I have no idea what it should be. But, i believe if it was 100% you wouldn't be a perfect player. You'd be folding the river too much. Just my 2 cents

Cerril
08-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Well I guess by 'perfect' I meant 'psychic'. If you always -knew- when you were beaten at the river, you'd never see a showdown. You'd also know when you could bluff them out.

I suppose you could still play seeing their cards and be folding the river too much, though, since you'd be missing bluffing opportunities.

Wahoo91
08-18-2004, 08:59 PM
What you want is right here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=709978&Forum =f2&Words=W%24SD&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=707851 &Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newer val=&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#P ost709978) .