PDA

View Full Version : bill gates in las vegas....

07-09-2002, 06:22 AM
i had heard some stories about gates playing low limit holdem in lv...

at a table in tunica sat a man who claimed to have been at a 6-12 he table at mirage with gates..

he said there was a friendly conversation about computers and one of the players said to bill.."hey you know a lot about computers huh..."

07-09-2002, 06:26 AM
bill gates replied.."i like to think i do"

bill was dealt 4 sevens..no toke to dealer...later in day , man came up to dealer and paid off dealer's mortgage in total.

dolly and other top pros wanted bill in high stakes game....bill returned their request with a note saying he would play limit..one/two million..no takers.....gl

07-09-2002, 09:12 AM

07-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Last fall i was sitting 4-8 at foxwoods and we heard some rumblings among the floor persons that gates, who was stay at the resort at the time, might be coming down to play. Knowing the rumors about him playing low limits, we became excited at the prospect of playing with Gates. BUT he never showed. /images/frown.gif

07-09-2002, 03:51 PM
The story goes that he is, or was, a pretty good poker player at one time. That is what his college buddies from Harvard all seem to say. It would be a trip to sit at a table with him. You have to wonder how motivated Gates would be at a $4/8 table? It would be like most of us playing for play money.

Fitz

07-09-2002, 04:29 PM
That's not the version I heard. According to Mike Caro (in a post to r.g.p.), Gates had someone bring a copy of SUPER/SYSTEM to Brunson while the latter was playing in some high-end game at the Mirage. Brunson sent the book back, saying he'd sign it only if Gates sat down in the game.

07-09-2002, 04:45 PM
This story appears in one of David Spanier's

columns -- with the bit about Brunson refusing

to sign book unless Gates would sit in his high

game.

07-09-2002, 06:46 PM
i had heard(and read) that too about brunson refusing to sign ss w/o gates joining his game. but my source swears bill gates countered that with an offer to play 1/2 million limit..and no one took him up on it.

but my mom said guys might lie at a poker table...lol..gl

07-10-2002, 01:03 AM
that said that Gates playing 3000-6000 would be like a guy making 50K a year playing $.001-$.002.

That said, I agree completely about the 4-8 thing. He oughta break out once in a while and toss around the red chips.

07-11-2002, 03:39 PM
If there were a $100 bill lying on the ground, it costs gates more to bend down to pick it up than for him to keep walking.

07-11-2002, 09:27 PM
he has to really. any stakes is the same size to him. but he is playing for fun and doesnt want to look bad. moreover since he is a business tycoon it really looks bad if he gables high as his financial rep goes with him. even though it would be impossible to lose enough to matter it could make people wonder if he would also take risks with their money. it costs him too much to play higher stakes.