PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions, to liven things up

flair1239
08-18-2004, 03:28 PM
I have been playing for about 5 months now. The first (3) I just screwed around at various levels and played alot of tournies.

Upon discovering this site I decided to get serious about bankroll building. I had about $400 at the time. From 7/22/04 to about 8/12/04 I worked it up to a little over $600 and I quit playing tournies.. During this time I added a 2nd table, so I could get more hands in.

The last week I have been having focus problems. I went a downswing one night and went on tilt and ended up losing $50 then blowing another $150 on tournies.

Last night I had a decent night, but felt kind of bored and ended up playing another tournie (Limit Holdem), lost that and then proceed to play about (5) $10 SNGs (OMAHA HI/lo).

I realize that this destroyes my bankroll, but here is my problem. I feel that I have become very mechanical, playing holdem. When I play (2) tables, I feel that I am not able to make good reads. I am still making a decent earn 2.2BB/100 over 7,000 hands, but I just feel stuck in a rut. When I play just one table, I then get antsy and find it hard to focus anyway because there is so much dead time. I have not had this problem before in my limited experience.

When I say bored, I don't mean like I want go do something else. It is simaliar to when you are having vanilla type sex, you would like it to be more exciting, but at the same time there is nothing else that you would rather do.

I know it is primarily a discipline issue (I also should not drink beer while I play), but I have thought of a possible solution and am looking for some feedback.

I only play when I can have a (4) hour or longer session. What I am thinking of doing is learning a new game (omaha hi/lo). I would play holdem for 3 hours and the last hour work on omaha. I am thinking that adding variety would help keep me from doing stupid things. My question on this is would I be better served by just sucking it up and focusing on holdem (again I am having fun, I just feel mechanical), rather than putting effort into another game. There are tons of things in holdem that I still have to master.

As for multi-tabling with holdem, I don't know what to do, when I play one table I have trouble focusing for the whole seesion and when I play (2) tables I feel like I am cheating myself by accepting results that are below what I am capable of achieveing.

I know That I am all over the board on this one, but any feedback is appreciated.

steamboatin
08-18-2004, 05:05 PM
What would happen if you had a holdem table open and played a cheap tourney at the same time? I use to have a problem getting bored during tourneys and playing to many hands. I would open up a micro limit holdem table, stay busy and get a fix when the gambling bug bit.

Sounds like you might try the opposite.

TripleH68
08-18-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any feedback is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play only one table online. When bored I open up my poker books and this site and read while playing.

PocketsRA
08-22-2004, 12:02 PM
i hear you man....i had the same problem...what i like to do a lot...is play 4 tables at a time...more action..u get better hold cards in the long run. And just play those good hold cards. Keeps me occupied a lot more. Just make sure ur bankroll can afford bigger swings...Might want to start with .5/1 until u get the hang of things

BusterStacks
08-22-2004, 02:22 PM
try 7-stud also.